KAUST DepartmentApplied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
PRIMALIGHT Research Group
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2012-07-23
Print Publication Date2012-07-30
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562013
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy employing Random Matrix Theory (RMT) and firstprinciple calculations, we investigated the behavior of Anderson localization in 1D, 2D and 3D systems characterized by a varying disorder. In particular, we considered random binary layer sequences in 1D and structurally disordered photonic crystals in two and three dimensions. We demonstrated the existence of a unique optimal degree of disorder that yields the strongest localization possible. In this regime, localized modes are constituted by defect states, which can show subwavelength confinement properties. These results suggest that disorder offers a new avenue for subwavelength light localization in purely dielectric media. © 2012 Optical Society of America.
SponsorsFor computer time, this research used the resources of the Supercomputing Laboratory at King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST) in Thuwal, Saudi Arabia. Numerical simulations have been performed with our NANOCPP code, which is an homemade, highly scalable 2D/3D FDTD code expressively developed for large scale parallel simulations of disordered materials. D. Molinari acknowledges partial support from PRIN MIUR 2009. The authors thank G. Ruocco and P. de Bernardis for fruitful discussions.
PublisherThe Optical Society
- Anderson localization of a non-interacting Bose-Einstein condensate.
- Authors: Roati G, D'Errico C, Fallani L, Fattori M, Fort C, Zaccanti M, Modugno G, Modugno M, Inguscio M
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 12
- Transport and Anderson localization in disordered two-dimensional photonic lattices.
- Authors: Schwartz T, Bartal G, Fishman S, Segev M
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 1
- Observation of Anderson localization in disordered nanophotonic structures.
- Authors: Sheinfux HH, Lumer Y, Ankonina G, Genack AZ, Bartal G, Segev M
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 2
- Statistical theory of a quantum emitter strongly coupled to Anderson-localized modes.
- Authors: Thyrrestrup H, Smolka S, Sapienza L, Lodahl P
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 16
- Radiative energy transfer in disordered photonic crystals.
- Authors: Erementchouk MV, Deych LI, Noh H, Cao H, Lisyansky AA
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 29