KAUST DepartmentApplied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Electrical Engineering Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy employing Random Matrix Theory (RMT) and firstprinciple calculations, we investigated the behavior of Anderson localization in 1D, 2D and 3D systems characterized by a varying disorder. In particular, we considered random binary layer sequences in 1D and structurally disordered photonic crystals in two and three dimensions. We demonstrated the existence of a unique optimal degree of disorder that yields the strongest localization possible. In this regime, localized modes are constituted by defect states, which can show subwavelength confinement properties. These results suggest that disorder offers a new avenue for subwavelength light localization in purely dielectric media. © 2012 Optical Society of America.
SponsorsFor computer time, this research used the resources of the Supercomputing Laboratory at King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST) in Thuwal, Saudi Arabia. Numerical simulations have been performed with our NANOCPP code, which is an homemade, highly scalable 2D/3D FDTD code expressively developed for large scale parallel simulations of disordered materials. D. Molinari acknowledges partial support from PRIN MIUR 2009. The authors thank G. Ruocco and P. de Bernardis for fruitful discussions.
PublisherThe Optical Society
- Anderson localization of a non-interacting Bose-Einstein condensate.
- Authors: Roati G, D'Errico C, Fallani L, Fattori M, Fort C, Zaccanti M, Modugno G, Modugno M, Inguscio M
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 12
- Transport and Anderson localization in disordered two-dimensional photonic lattices.
- Authors: Schwartz T, Bartal G, Fishman S, Segev M
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 1
- Effects of geometric and refractive index disorder on wave propagation in two-dimensional photonic crystals
- Authors: Asatryan AA, Robinson PA, Botten LC, McPhedran RC, Nicorovici NA, Martijn De Sterke C
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Observation of Anderson localization in disordered nanophotonic structures.
- Authors: Sheinfux HH, Lumer Y, Ankonina G, Genack AZ, Bartal G, Segev M
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 2
- Resonances and localization of classical waves in random systems with correlated disorder.
- Authors: Samelsohn G, Gredeskul SA, Mazar R
- Issue date: 1999 Nov