AuthorsHarkness, Kellen M.
Reddy, Vijay J.
Cliffel, David E.
McLean, John A.
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Nanomaterials Lab (FuNL)
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberFIC/2010/02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/562000
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntensely and broadly absorbing nanoparticles (IBANs) of silver protected by arylthiolates were recently synthesized and showed unique optical properties, yet question of their dispersity and their molecular formulas remained. Here IBANs are identified as a superatom complex with a molecular formula of Ag 44(SR) 30 4- and an electron count of 18. This molecular character is shared by IBANs protected by 4-fluorothiophenol or 2-naphthalenethiol. The molecular formula and purity is determined by mass spectrometry and confirmed by sedimentation velocity-analytical ultracentrifugation. The data also give preliminary indications of a unique structure and environment for Ag 44(SR) 30 4-. This journal is © 2012 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
SponsorsFinancial support for this work was provided by the National Institutes of Health (RC2DA028981 and R01GM076479), the National Science Foundation (NSF 0903787), the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (HDTRA1-09-0013), the Vanderbilt College of Arts and Sciences, the Vanderbilt Institute of Chemical Biology, the Vanderbilt Institute for Integrative Biosystems Research and Education, and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) FIC Award (FIC/2010/02).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
PubMed Central IDPMC3518420
- Ag44(SeR)30: A Hollow Cage Silver Cluster with Selenolate Protection.
- Authors: Chakraborty I, Kurashige W, Kanehira K, Gell L, Häkkinen H, Negishi Y, Pradeep T
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 3
- [Ag25(SR)18](-): The "Golden" Silver Nanoparticle.
- Authors: Joshi CP, Bootharaju MS, Alhilaly MJ, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 16
- Manifestation of Geometric and Electronic Shell Structures of Metal Clusters in Intercluster Reactions.
- Authors: Krishnadas KR, Baksi A, Ghosh A, Natarajan G, Pradeep T
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 27
- Electronic and geometric structures of Au30 clusters: a network of 2e-superatom Au cores protected by tridentate protecting motifs with u3-S.
- Authors: Tian Z, Cheng L
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 14
- Effect of ligand structure on the size control of mono- and bi-thiolate-protected silver nanoclusters.
- Authors: Zheng K, Yuan X, Xie J
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 29