Molecular design and ordering effects in π-functional materials for transistor and solar cell applications
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Chemical Science Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOrganic electronics are broadly anticipated to impact the development of flexible thin-film device technologies. Among these, solution-processable π-conjugated polymers and small molecules are proving particularly promising in field-effect transistors and bulk heterojunction solar cells. This Perspective analyzes some of the most exciting strategies recently suggested in the design and structural organization of π-functional materials for transistor and solar cell applications. Emphasis is placed on the interplay between molecular structure, self-assembling properties, nanoscale and mesoscale ordering, and device efficiency parameters. A critical look at the various approaches used to optimize both materials and device performance is provided to assist in the identification of new directions and further advances. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the financial support of the "Plastics Electronics" program at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory by the Director, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Materials Sciences and Engineering Division, of the U.S. Department of Energy under Contract No, DE-AC02-05CH11231. Additional support under the CAMP-KAUST program funded by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology is also acknowledged with thanks. The authors thank Dr. Claire Woo for helpful discussions and useful scientific insight.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Thiophene polymer semiconductors for organic thin-film transistors.
- Authors: Ong BS, Wu Y, Li Y, Liu P, Pan H
- Issue date: 2008
- Synthesis, characterization, and transistor and solar cell applications of a naphthobisthiadiazole-based semiconducting polymer.
- Authors: Osaka I, Shimawaki M, Mori H, Doi I, Miyazaki E, Koganezawa T, Takimiya K
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 22
- n-Channel semiconductor materials design for organic complementary circuits.
- Authors: Usta H, Facchetti A, Marks TJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 19
- π-Conjugated cyanostilbene derivatives: a unique self-assembly motif for molecular nanostructures with enhanced emission and transport.
- Authors: An BK, Gierschner J, Park SY
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 17
- Molecular bulk heterojunctions: an emerging approach to organic solar cells.
- Authors: Roncali J
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 17