KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Functional Nanomaterials and Devices Research Group
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561956
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA simple and scalable method has been developed to fabricate nanostructured MnO 2-carbon nanotube (CNT)-sponge hybrid electrodes. A novel supercapacitor, henceforth referred to as "sponge supercapacitor", has been fabricated using these hybrid electrodes with remarkable performance. A specific capacitance of 1230 F/g (based on the mass of MnO 2) can be reached. Capacitors based on CNT-sponge substrates (without MnO 2) can be operated even under a high scan rate of 200 V/s, and they exhibit outstanding cycle performance with only 2% degradation after 100000 cycles under a scan rate of 10 V/s. The MnO 2-CNT-sponge supercapacitors show only 4% of degradation after 10000 cycles at a charge-discharge specific current of 5 A/g. The specific power and energy of the MnO 2-CNT-sponge supercapacitors are high with values of 63 kW/kg and 31 Wh/kg, respectively. The attractive performances exhibited by these sponge supercapacitors make them potentially promising candidates for future energy storage systems. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors thank for the characterization analysis provided by KAUST Advanced Imaging and Characterization Laboratory and Analytic Core Laboratory. W.C. acknowledges support from KAUST Graduate Fellowship. H.A. acknowledges the support from KAUST baseline fund. Y.C. acknowledges support from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Investigator Award (No. KUS11-001-12) and the Precourt Institute for Energy at Stanford. X.X. acknowledges support from the Stanford Graduate Fellowship.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Intertwined nanocarbon and manganese oxide hybrid foam for high-energy supercapacitors.
- Authors: Wang W, Guo S, Bozhilov KN, Yan D, Ozkan M, Ozkan CS
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 11
- Porous honeycomb structures formed from interconnected MnO2 sheets on CNT-coated substrates for flexible all-solid-state supercapacitors.
- Authors: Ko WY, Chen YF, Lu KM, Lin KJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 4
- Graphene-patched CNT/MnO2 nanocomposite papers for the electrode of high-performance flexible asymmetric supercapacitors.
- Authors: Jin Y, Chen H, Chen M, Liu N, Li Q
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 24
- High-performance hybrid carbon nanotube fibers for wearable energy storage.
- Authors: Lu Z, Chao Y, Ge Y, Foroughi J, Zhao Y, Wang C, Long H, Wallace GG
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 20
- Polypyrrole-MnO₂-Coated Textile-Based Flexible-Stretchable Supercapacitor with High Electrochemical and Mechanical Reliability.
- Authors: Yun TG, Hwang Bi, Kim D, Hyun S, Han SM
- Issue date: 2015 May 6