Lateral extension of π conjugation along the bay regions of bisanthene through a diels-alder cycloaddition reaction
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Chemical Science Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiels-Alder cycloaddition reactions at the bay regions of bisanthene (1) with dienophiles such as 1,4-naphthoquinone have been investigated. The products were submitted to nucleophilic addition followed by reductive aromatization reactions to afford the laterally extended bisanthene derivatives 2 and 3. Attempted synthesis of a larger expanded bisanthene 4 revealed an unexpected hydrogenation reaction at the last reductive aromatization step. Unusual Michael addition was observed on quinone 14, which was obtained by Diels-Alder reaction between 1 and 1,4-anthraquinone. Compounds 1-3 exhibited near-infrared (NIR) absorption and emission with high-to-moderate fluorescent quantum yields. Their structures and absorption spectra were studied by density function theory and non-planar twisted structures were calculated for 2 and 3. All compounds showed amphoteric redox behavior with multiple oxidation/reduction waves. Oxidative titration with SbCl 5 gave stable radical cations, and the process was followed by UV/Vis/NIR spectroscopic measurements. Their photostability was measured and correlated to their different geometries and electronic structures. © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsJ. W. acknowledges financial support from Singapore DSTA DIRP Project (DSTA-NUS-DIRP/2008/03), the NRF Competitive Research Program (R-143-000-360-281), and A*Star BMRC grant (No. 10/1/21/19/642). K.-W. H. acknowledges financial support from KAUST.
JournalChemistry - A European Journal
- Double diels-alder strategies to soluble 2,9- and 2,9,6,13-tetraethynylpentacenes, photolytic [4 + 4] cycloadditions, and pentacene crystal packing.
- Authors: Bénard CP, Geng Z, Heuft MA, VanCrey K, Fallis AG
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 14
- Diels-Alder reactivity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon bay regions: implications for metal-free growth of single-chirality carbon nanotubes.
- Authors: Fort EH, Donovan PM, Scott LT
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 11
- Intermolecular radical cation Diels-Alder (RCDA) reaction of bicyclooctadienes: biomimetic formal total synthesis of kingianin A and total syntheses of kingianins D, F, H, and J.
- Authors: Lim HN, Parker KA
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 7
- Reactions of HDDA-Derived Benzynes with Perylenes: Rapid Construction of Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds.
- Authors: Xu F, Xiao X, Hoye TR
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 4
- Small-molecule diversity using a skeletal transformation strategy.
- Authors: Kumar N, Kiuchi M, Tallarico JA, Schreiber SL
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 23