Copper-mediated C-H activation/C-S cross-coupling of heterocycles with thiols
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Homogeneous Catalysis Laboratory (HCL)
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory (KSL)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561915
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the synthesis of a series of aryl- or alkyl-substituted 2-mercaptobenzothiazoles by direct thiolation of benzothiazoles with aryl or alkyl thiols via copper-mediated aerobic C-H bond activation in the presence of stoichiometric CuI, 2,2′-bipyridine and Na 2CO 3. We also show that the approach can be extended to thiazole, benzimidazole, and indole substrates. In addition, we present detailed mechanistic investigations on the Cu(I)-mediated direct thiolation reactions. Both computational studies and experimental results reveal that the copper-thiolate complex [(L)Cu(SR)] (L: nitrogen-based bidentate ligand such as 2,2′-bipyridine; R: aryl or alkyl group) is the first reactive intermediate responsible for the observed organic transformation. Furthermore, our computational studies suggest a stepwise reaction mechanism based on a hydrogen atom abstraction pathway, which is more energetically feasible than many other possible pathways including β-hydride elimination, single electron transfer, hydrogen atom transfer, oxidative addition/reductive elimination, and σ-bond metathesis. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationRanjit, S., Lee, R., Heryadi, D., Shen, C., Wu, J., Zhang, P., … Liu, X. (2011). Copper-Mediated C–H Activation/C–S Cross-Coupling of Heterocycles with Thiols. The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 76(21), 8999–9007. doi:10.1021/jo2017444
SponsorsThis study was supported in part by the Ministry of Education (MOE2010-T2-083), the Singapore Peking Oxford Research Enterprise (SPORE), the Science and Technology Plan of Zhejiang Province (2011C24004), and the Singapore-MIT alliance. X.L. is grateful to the National University of Singapore for the Young Research Award (C-143-000-022). R.L., D.H., and K.-W.H. are grateful for funding from KAUST and computing time from the NOOR computer cluster managed by the KAUST supercomputing team.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
JournalThe Journal of Organic Chemistry
- Copper-catalyzed direct thiolation of azoles with aliphatic thiols.
- Authors: Zhou AX, Liu XY, Yang K, Zhao SC, Liang YM
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 7
- Copper/amino acid catalyzed cross-couplings of aryl and vinyl halides with nucleophiles.
- Authors: Ma D, Cai Q
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 18
- Construction of C(aryl)-C(alkynyl) bond from copper-mediated arene-alkyne and aryl iodide-alkyne cross-coupling reactions: a common aryl-Cu(III) intermediate in arene C-H activation and Castro-Stephens reaction.
- Authors: Wang ZL, Zhao L, Wang MX
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 16
- A new family of nucleophiles for photoinduced, copper-catalyzed cross-couplings via single-electron transfer: reactions of thiols with aryl halides under mild conditions (O °C).
- Authors: Uyeda C, Tan Y, Fu GC, Peters JC
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 26
- A general and efficient approach to aryl thiols: CuI-catalyzed coupling of aryl iodides with sulfur and subsequent reduction.
- Authors: Jiang Y, Qin Y, Xie S, Zhang X, Dong J, Ma D
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 19