Silicon nanotube field effect transistor with core-shell gate stacks for enhanced high-performance operation and area scaling benefits
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Integrated Nanotechnology Lab
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561899
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe introduce the concept of a silicon nanotube field effect transistor whose unique core-shell gate stacks help achieve full volume inversion by giving a surge in minority carrier concentration in the near vicinity of the ultrathin channel and at the same time rapid roll-off at the source and drain junctions constituting velocity saturation-induced higher drive current-enhanced high performance per device with efficient real estate consumption. The core-shell gate stacks also provide superior short channel effects control than classical planar metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor (MOSFET) and gate-all-around nanowire FET. The proposed device offers the true potential to be an ideal blend for quantum ballistic transport study of device property control by bottom-up approach and high-density integration compatibility using top-down state-of-the-art complementary metal oxide semiconductor flow. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsWe deeply appreciate the valuable technical discussion with Professor Frank Register of the University of Texas at Austin, useful logistic support by Kelly Rader, and generous baseline research funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Are nanotube architectures more advantageous than nanowire architectures for field effect transistors?
- Authors: Fahad HM, Hussain MM
- Issue date: 2012
- Catching the electron in action in real space inside a Ge-Si core-shell nanowire transistor.
- Authors: Jaishi M, Pati R
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 21
- Unlocking the Origin of Superior Performance of a Si-Ge Core-Shell Nanowire Quantum Dot Field Effect Transistor.
- Authors: Dhungana KB, Jaishi M, Pati R
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13
- p-GaAs Nanowire Metal-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistors with Near-Thermal Limit Gating.
- Authors: Ullah AR, Meyer F, Gluschke JG, Naureen S, Caroff P, Krogstrup P, Nygård J, Micolich AP
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 12
- Highly gate-tuneable Rashba spin-orbit interaction in a gate-all-around InAs nanowire metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor.
- Authors: Takase K, Ashikawa Y, Zhang G, Tateno K, Sasaki S
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 19