The Arabidopsis thaliana natriuretic peptide AtPNP-A is a systemic regulator of leaf dark respiration and signals via the phloem
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Molecular Signalling Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561851
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlant natriuretic peptides (PNPs) belong to a novel class of peptidic signaling molecules that share some structural similarity to the N-terminal domain of expansins and affect physiological processes such as water and ion homeostasis at nano-molar concentrations. Here we show that a recombinant Arabidopsis thaliana PNP (AtPNP-A) rapidly increased the rate of dark respiration in treated leaves after 5 min. In addition, we observed increases in lower leaves, and with a lag time of 10 min, the effect spread to the upper leaves and subsequently (after 15 min) to the opposite leaves. This response signature is indicative of phloem mobility of the signal, a hypothesis that was further strengthened by the fact that cold girdling, which affects phloem but not xylem or apoplastic processes, delayed the long distance AtPNP-A effect. We conclude that locally applied AtPNP-A can induce a phloem-mobile signal that rapidly modifies plant homeostasis in distal parts. © 2011 Elsevier GmbH.
JournalJournal of Plant Physiology
- Plant natriuretic peptides are apoplastic and paracrine stress response molecules.
- Authors: Wang YH, Gehring C, Irving HR
- Issue date: 2011 May
- A recombinant plant natriuretic peptide causes rapid and spatially differentiated K+, Na+ and H+ flux changes in Arabidopsis thaliana roots.
- Authors: Ludidi N, Morse M, Sayed M, Wherrett T, Shabala S, Gehring C
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Plant natriuretic peptides: systemic regulators of plant homeostasis and defense that can affect cardiomyoblasts.
- Authors: Gehring C, Irving H
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- The plant natriuretic peptide receptor is a guanylyl cyclase and enables cGMP-dependent signaling.
- Authors: Turek I, Gehring C
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- AtPNP-A is a systemically mobile natriuretic peptide immunoanalogue with a role in Arabidopsis thaliana cell volume regulation.
- Authors: Morse M, Pironcheva G, Gehring C
- Issue date: 2004 Jan 2