From micelle supramolecular assemblies in selective solvents to isoporous membranes
AuthorsNunes, Suzana Pereira
Behzad, Ali Reza
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Engineering Program
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Nanostructured Polymeric Membrane Lab
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561842
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe supramolecular assembly of PS-b-P4VP copolymer micelles induced by selective solvent mixtures was used to manufacture isoporous membranes. Micelle order in solution was confirmed by cryo-scanning electron microscopy in casting solutions, leading to ordered pore morphology. When dioxane, a solvent that interacts poorly with the micelle corona, was added to the solution, polymer-polymer segment contact was preferential, increasing the intermicelle contact. Immersion in water gave rise to asymmetric porous membranes with exceptional pore uniformity and high porosity. The introduction of a small number of carbon nanotubes to the casting solution improved the membrane stability and the reversibility of the gate response in the presence of different pH values. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsArticles; Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division; Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center; Environmental Science and Engineering Program; Imaging and Characterization Core Lab; Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division; Chemical Engineering Program; Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
- Switchable pH-responsive polymeric membranes prepared via block copolymer micelle assembly.
- Authors: Nunes SP, Behzad AR, Hooghan B, Sougrat R, Karunakaran M, Pradeep N, Vainio U, Peinemann KV
- Issue date: 2011 May 24
- Simultaneous tuning of chemical composition and topography of copolymer surfaces: micelles as building blocks.
- Authors: Zhao N, Zhang X, Zhang X, Xu J
- Issue date: 2007 May 14
- Controlled chemical stabilization of self-assembled PS-P4VP nanostructures.
- Authors: Lam YM, Song L, Moy YC, Xi L, Boothroyd C
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 1
- Carbohydrates as additives for the formation of isoporous PS-b-P4VP diblock copolymer membranes.
- Authors: Clodt JI, Rangou S, Schröder A, Buhr K, Hahn J, Jung A, Filiz V, Abetz V
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 25
- Ordered complex nanostructures from bimodal self-assemblies of diblock copolymer micelles with solvent annealing.
- Authors: Jeon SM, Lee SH, Yoo SI, Sohn BH
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 4