KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Center for Desert Agriculture
Laboratory for Genome Engineering
Plant Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561749
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSite-specific and adaptable DNA binding domains are essential modules to develop genome engineering technologies for crop improvement. Transcription activator-like effectors (TALEs) proteins are used to provide a highly specific and adaptable DNA binding modules. TALE chimeric nucleases (TALENs) were used to generate site-specific double strand breaks (DSBs) in vitro and in yeast, Caenorhabditis elegans, mammalian and plant cells. The genomic DSBs can be generated at predefined and user-selected loci and repaired by either the non-homologous end joining (NHEJ) or homology dependent repair (HDR). Thus, TALENs can be used to achieve site-specific gene addition, stacking, deletion or inactivation. TALE-based genome engineering tools should be powerful to develop new agricultural biotechnology approaches for crop improvement. Here, we discuss the recent research and the potential applications of TALENs to accelerate the generation of genomic variants through targeted mutagenesis and to produce a non-transgenic GM crops with the desired phenotype.
CitationMahfouz, M. M., & Li, L. (2011). TALE nucleases and next generation GM crops. GM Crops, 2(2), 99–103. doi:10.4161/gmcr.2.2.17254
PublisherInforma UK Limited
- Towards targeted mutagenesis and gene replacement in plants.
- Authors: Tzfira T, White C
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Genome editing for crop improvement: Challenges and opportunities.
- Authors: Abdallah NA, Prakash CS, McHughen AG
- Issue date: 2015
- TALENs: customizable molecular DNA scissors for genome engineering of plants.
- Authors: Chen K, Gao C
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 20
- An efficient TALEN mutagenesis system in rice.
- Authors: Chen K, Shan Q, Gao C
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 15
- Looking forward to genetically edited fruit crops.
- Authors: Nagamangala Kanchiswamy C, Sargent DJ, Velasco R, Maffei ME, Malnoy M
- Issue date: 2015 Feb