NKS1, Na+- and K+-sensitive 1, regulates ion homeostasis in an SOS-independent pathway in Arabidopsis
Bohnert, Hans Jürgen
Bressan, Ray Anthony
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn Arabidopsis thaliana mutant, nks1-1, exhibiting enhanced sensitivity to NaCl was identified in a screen of a T-DNA insertion population in the genetic background of Col-0 gl1 sos3-1. Analysis of the genome sequence in the region flanking the T-DNA left border indicated two closely linked mutations in the gene encoded at locus At4g30996. A second allele, nks1-2, was obtained from the Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center. NKS1 mRNA was detected in all parts of wild-type plants but was not detected in plants of either mutant, indicating inactivation by the mutations. Both mutations in NKS1 were associated with increased sensitivity to NaCl and KCl, but not to LiCl or mannitol. NaCl sensitivity was associated with nks1 mutations in Arabidopsis lines expressing either wild type or alleles of SOS1, SOS2 or SOS3. The NaCl-sensitive phenotype of the nks1-2 mutant was complemented by expression of a full-length NKS1 allele from the CaMV35S promoter. When grown in medium containing NaCl, nks1 mutants accumulated more Na+ than wild type and K +/Na+ homeostasis was perturbed. It is proposed NKS1, a plant-specific gene encoding a 19 kDa endomembrane-localized protein of unknown function, is part of an ion homeostasis regulation pathway that is independent of the SOS pathway. © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis work was supported by Grants from the World Class University Program (Grant No. R32-10148) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and the Biogreen 21 Program (Grant No. 20070301034030) of the Rural Development Administration in Korea. W.C. is supported by a scholarship from the Brain Korea 21 program of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- Differential expression and function of Arabidopsis thaliana NHX Na+/H+ antiporters in the salt stress response.
- Authors: Yokoi S, Quintero FJ, Cubero B, Ruiz MT, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM, Pardo JM
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- AtHKT1 facilitates Na+ homeostasis and K+ nutrition in planta.
- Authors: Rus A, Lee BH, Muñoz-Mayor A, Sharkhuu A, Miura K, Zhu JK, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- AtNHX8, a member of the monovalent cation: proton antiporter-1 family in Arabidopsis thaliana, encodes a putative Li/H antiporter.
- Authors: An R, Chen QJ, Chai MF, Lu PL, Su Z, Qin ZX, Chen J, Wang XC
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Na(+)/H(+) antiporter activity of the SOS1 gene: lifetime imaging analysis and electrophysiological studies on Arabidopsis seedlings.
- Authors: Guo KM, Babourina O, Rengel Z
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Vacuolar cation/H+ exchange, ion homeostasis, and leaf development are altered in a T-DNA insertional mutant of AtNHX1, the Arabidopsis vacuolar Na+/H+ antiporter.
- Authors: Apse MP, Sottosanto JB, Blumwald E
- Issue date: 2003 Oct