Azide-based cross-linking of polymers of intrinsic microporosity (PIMs) for condensable gas separation
Dal-Cin, Mauro M D
Robertson, Gilles P.
Guiver, Michael D.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2011-03-11
Print Publication Date2011-04-19
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561731
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCross-linked polymers of intrinsic microporosity (PIM)s for gas separation membranes, were prepared by a nitrene reaction from a representative PIM in the presence of two different diazide cross-linkers. The reaction temperature was optimized using TGA. The homogenous membranes were cast from THF solutions of different ratios of PIM to azides. The resulting cross-linked structures of the PIMs membranes were formed at 175 °C after 7.5 h and confirmed by TGA, XPS, FT-IR spectroscopy and gel content analysis. These resulting cross-linked polymeric membranes showed excellent gas separation performance and can be used for O 2/N 2 and CO 2/N 2 gas pairs, as well as for condensable gases, such as CO 2/CH 4, propylene/propane separation. Most importantly, and differently from typical gas separation membranes derived from glassy polymers, the crosslinked PIMs showed no obvious CO 2 plasticization up to 20 atm pressure of pure CO 2 and CO 2/CH 4 mixtures. © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsThe authors are grateful to David Kingston of the National Research Council for the XPS measurements. MDG acknowledges partial support from the WCU (World Class university) program through the National Research Foundation of Korea funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (No. R31-2008-000-10092-0).
- Blends of a Polymer of Intrinsic Microporosity and Partially Sulfonated Polyphenylenesulfone for Gas Separation.
- Authors: Yong WF, Lee ZK, Chung TS, Weber M, Staudt C, Maletzko C
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 9
- Polymeric membrane materials: new aspects of empirical approaches to prediction of gas permeability parameters in relation to permanent gases, linear lower hydrocarbons and some toxic gases.
- Authors: Malykh OV, Golub AY, Teplyakov VV
- Issue date: 2011 May 11
- Polymeric molecular sieve membranes via in situ cross-linking of non-porous polymer membrane templates.
- Authors: Qiao ZA, Chai SH, Nelson K, Bi Z, Chen J, Mahurin SM, Zhu X, Dai S
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 16
- Polymers of intrinsic microporosity (PIMs): organic materials for membrane separations, heterogeneous catalysis and hydrogen storage.
- Authors: McKeown NB, Budd PM
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Intrinsically Microporous Polymer Nanosheets for High-Performance Gas Separation Membranes.
- Authors: Tamaddondar M, Foster AB, Luque-Alled JM, Msayib KJ, Carta M, Sorribas S, Gorgojo P, McKeown NB, Budd PM
- Issue date: 2020 Jan