Electronic structure and magnetic ordering of the semiconducting chromium trihalides CrCl3, CrBr3, and CrI3
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Computational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present results from an electronic structure investigation of the chromium halides CrCl3, CrBr3, and CrI3, as obtained by the linearized augmented plane wave method of density functional theory. Our interest focuses on the chloride. While all three halides display strong ferromagnetic coupling within the halide-Cr-halide triple layers, our emphasis is on differences in the interlayer magnetic coupling. In agreement with experimental results, our calculations indicate ferromagnetic ordering for CrBr3 as well as CrI3. The antiferromagnetic state of CrCl3 can be reproduced by introducing an on-site electron-electron repulsion. However, we observe that the ground state depends critically on the specific approach used. Our results show that a low temperature structural phase transition from monoclinic to trigonal is energetically favourable for CrCl3. © 2011 IOP Publishing Ltd.
- Magnetic structure and orbital ordering in tetragonal and monoclinic KCrF(3) from first-principles calculations.
- Authors: Xu Y, Hao X, Lv M, Wu Z, Zhou D, Meng J
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 28
- Density functional theory studies of spin, charge, and orbital ordering in YBaT2O5 (T = Mn, Fe, Co).
- Authors: Vidya R, Ravindran P, Knizek K, Kjekshus A, Fjellvåg H
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 4
- Nucleation of antiferromagnetically coupled chromium dihalides: from small clusters to the solid state.
- Authors: Vest B, Hermann A, Boyd PD, Schwerdtfeger P
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 5
- Electronic structure of linear thiophenolate-bridged heteronuclear complexes [LFeMFeL](n)(+) (M = Cr, Co, Fe; n = 1-3): a combination of kinetic exchange interaction and electron delocalization.
- Authors: Chibotaru LF, Girerd JJ, Blondin G, Glaser T, Wieghardt K
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 15
- Magnetic and electronic properties of CaCu3Cr4O12 and CaCu3Cr2Sb2O12 by first-principles density functional calculation.
- Authors: Xiang HP, Liu XJ, Zhao EJ, Meng J, Wu ZJ
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 12