The direct asymmetric vinylogous aldol reaction of furanones with α-ketoesters: Access to chiral γ-Butenolides and glycerol derivatives
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Homogeneous Catalysis Laboratory (HCL)
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2011-01-11
Print Publication Date2011-02-18
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561702
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwice as good: The title reaction using the tryptophan-derived bifunctional organic catalyst 1 has been developed. The reported method led to the synthesis of chiral γ-substituted butenolides in excellent yields, with high diastereo- and enantioselectivities. Facile synthesis of chiral glycerol derivatives containing a tertiary hydroxy group has also been demonstrated. © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationLuo, J., Wang, H., Han, X., Xu, L.-W., Kwiatkowski, J., Huang, K.-W., & Lu, Y. (2011). The Direct Asymmetric Vinylogous Aldol Reaction of Furanones with α-Ketoesters: Access to Chiral γ-Butenolides and Glycerol Derivatives. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 50(8), 1861–1864. doi:10.1002/anie.201006316
SponsorsWe thank the National University of Singapore and the Ministry of Education (MOE) of Singapore (R-143-000-362-112) for generous financial support.
RelationsIs Supplemented By:
- Organocatalytic asymmetric direct vinylogous aldol reactions of γ-crotonolactone with aromatic aldehydes.
- Authors: Pansare SV, Paul EK
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 21
- Asymmetric direct vinylogous aldol reaction of unactivated gamma-butenolide to aldehydes.
- Authors: Yang Y, Zheng K, Zhao J, Shi J, Lin L, Liu X, Feng X
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 6
- Novel synthons from mucochloric acid: the first use of alpha,beta-dichloro-gamma-butenolides and gamma-butyrolactams for direct vinylogous aldol addition.
- Authors: Das Sarma K, Zhang J, Curran TT
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 27
- Catalytic, asymmetric synthesis of phosphonic γ-(hydroxyalkyl)butenolides with contiguous quaternary and tertiary stereogenic centers.
- Authors: Frings M, Thomé I, Schiffers I, Pan F, Bolm C
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 3
- Diastereo- and enantioselective direct vinylogous Michael addition of γ-substituted butenolides to 2-enoylpyridines catalyzed by chiral bifunctional amine-squaramides.
- Authors: Wang ZH, Wu ZJ, Huang XQ, Yue DF, You Y, Xu XY, Zhang XM, Yuan WC
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 11