Site-specific growth of Au particles on ZnO nanopyramids under ultraviolet illumination
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Nanostructured Functional Materials (NFM) laboratory
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this work, wurtzite ZnO nanocrystals with unique "pyramid" morphology were firstly prepared via solvothermal synthesis. It was determined that the ZnO nanopyramids are grown along the polar c-axis with the vertexes pointing to the  direction. When the mixture of ZnO nanopyramids and Au precursor (HAuCl4) was exposed to ultraviolet (UV) illumination, Au particles were site-specifically formed on the vertexes of ZnO nanopyramids. The obtained Au/ZnO nanocomposite showed significantly enhanced photocatalytic activity as compared to the bare ZnO nanopyramids. First-principles based calculations well explained the formation of ZnO nanopyramids as well as the site-specific growth of Au, and revealed that during the photocatalysis process the Au particles can accommodate photoelectrons and thus facilitate the charge separation. © 2011 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the KAUST-NUS GCR Special Academic Partner Program from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- In situ assembly of well-dispersed Au nanoparticles on TiO2/ZnO nanofibers: a three-way synergistic heterostructure with enhanced photocatalytic activity.
- Authors: Zhang P, Shao C, Li X, Zhang M, Zhang X, Sun Y, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 30
- Fabrication of hierarchical core-shell Au@ZnO heteroarchitectures initiated by heteroseed assembly for photocatalytic applications.
- Authors: Qin Y, Zhou Y, Li J, Ma J, Shi D, Chen J, Yang J
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 15
- Visible light assisted photocatalytic degradation of acid red 88 using Au-ZnO nanophotocatalysts.
- Authors: Kumar PS, Raj MR, Anandan S, Zhou M, Ashokkumar M
- Issue date: 2009
- Formation mechanisms of gold-zinc oxide hexagonal nanopyramids by heterogeneous nucleation using microwave synthesis.
- Authors: Herring NP, AbouZeid K, Mohamed MB, Pinsk J, El-Shall MS
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 20
- Well-defined Au/ZnO nanoparticle composites exhibiting enhanced photocatalytic activities.
- Authors: Udawatte N, Lee M, Kim J, Lee D
- Issue date: 2011 Nov