Cross species amplification ability of novel microsatellites isolated from Jatropha curcas and genetic relationship with sister taxa : Cross species amplification and genetic relationship of Jatropha using novel microsatellites
AuthorsPamidimarri, D. V N N Sudheer
Mastan, Shaik G.
Ravi Prakash, Ch
Singh, Sweta V.
Reddy, Muppala P.
KAUST DepartmentDesert Agriculture Initiative
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe present investigation was undertaken with an aim to check the ability of cross species amplification of microsatellite markers isolated from Jatropha curcas-a renewable source of biodiesel to deduce the generic relationship with its six sister taxa (J. glandulifera, J. gossypifolia, J. integerrima, J. multifida, J. podagrica, and J. tanjorensis). Out of the 49 markers checked 31 markers showed cross species amplification in all the species studied. JCDS-30, JCDS-69, JCDS-26, JCMS-13 and JCMS-21 amplified in J. curcas. However, these markers did not show any cross species amplification. Overall percentage of polymorphism (PP) among the species studied was 38% and the mean genetic similarity (GS) was found to be 0.86. The highest PP (24) and least GS (0.76) was found between J. curcas/J. podagrica and J. curcas/J. multifida and least PP (4.44) and highest GS (0.96) was found between J. integerrima/J. tanjorensis. Dendrogram analysis showed good congruence to RAPD and AFLP than nrDNA ITS data reported earlier. The characterized microsatellites will pave way for intraspecies molecular characterization which can be further utilized in species differentiation, molecular identification, characterization of interspecific hybrids, exploitation of genetic resource management and genetic improvement of the species through marker assisted breeding for economically important traits. © 2010 Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
SponsorsWe are thankful to Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi, India for its financial support and for research associate fellowship.
JournalMolecular Biology Reports
- Comparative study of interspecific genetic divergence and phylogenic analysis of genus Jatropha by RAPD and AFLP: genetic divergence and phylogenic analysis of genus Jatropha.
- Authors: Sudheer Pamidiamarri DV, Pandya N, Reddy MP, Radhakrishnan T
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Genetic divergence and phylogenetic analysis of genus Jatropha based on nuclear ribosomal DNA ITS sequence.
- Authors: Sudheer Pamidimarri DV, Chattopadhyay B, Reddy MP
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Isolation of novel microsatellites using FIASCO by dual probe enrichment from Jatropha curcas L. and study on genetic equilibrium and diversity of Indian population revealed by isolated microsatellites.
- Authors: Sudheer PD, Rahman H, Mastan SG, Reddy MP
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Molecular characterization and genetic diversity analysis of Jatropha curcas L. in India using RAPD and AFLP analysis.
- Authors: Pamidimarri DV, Mastan SG, Rahman H, Reddy MP
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Molecular characterization of Jatropha genetic resources through inter-simple sequence repeat (ISSR) markers.
- Authors: Senthil Kumar R, Parthiban KT, Govinda Rao M
- Issue date: 2009 Sep