Chemistry by nanocatalysis: First example of a solid-supported RAPTA complex for organic reactions in aqueous medium
AuthorsGarcía-Garrido, Sergio E.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561600
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA ruthenium-arene-PTA (RAPTA) complex has been supported for the first time on an inorganic solid, that is, silica-coated ferrite nanoparticles. The resulting magnetic material proved to be a general, very efficient and easily reusable catalyst for three synthetically useful organic transformations; selective nitrile hydration, redox isomerization of allylic alcohols, and heteroannulation of (Z)-enynols. The use of low metal concentration, environmentally friendly water as a reaction medium, with no use at all of organic solvent during or after the reactions, and microwaves as an alternative energy source renders the synthetic processes reported herein "truly" green and sustainable. RAPTA's delight: A nano-RAPTA complex supported on silica-coated ferrite nanoparticles proved to be a general, very efficient and easily reusable catalyst for three synthetically useful organic transformations; selective nitrile hydration, redox isomerization of allylic alcohols, and heteroannulation of (Z)-enynols. The use of low metal concentrations, water as a reaction medium, and microwaves as an energy source renders these processes green and sustainable. © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsFinancial support from the Spanish MICINN (Projects CTQ2006-08485/BQU, CTQ2009-08746/BQU, CTQ2010-14796/BQU and CSD2007-00006) and the Gobierno del Principado de Asturias (FICYT Project IB08-036) is acknowledged. J.F. and S. E. G.-G. thank MICINN and the European Social Fund for the award of a Ph.D. grant and a Ramon y Cajal contract, respectively. V. P. and J.M.B. thank King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for support.
- Water-medium clean organic reactions over an active mesoporous Ru(II) organometallic catalyst.
- Authors: Li H, Yin H, Zhang F, Li H, Huo Y, Lu Y
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 1
- Homogeneous photocatalytic reactions with organometallic and coordination compounds--perspectives for sustainable chemistry.
- Authors: Hoffmann N
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 13
- Olefin ring closing metathesis and hydrosilylation reaction in aqueous medium by Grubbs second generation ruthenium catalyst.
- Authors: Polshettiwar V, Varma RS
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 19
- A solid-supported phosphine-free ruthenium alkylidene for olefin metathesis in methanol and water.
- Authors: Connon SJ, Blechert S
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 22
- Comparison of hydration reactions for "piano-stool" RAPTA-B and [Ru(η6-arene)(en)Cl]+ complexes: density functional theory computational study.
- Authors: Chval Z, Futera Z, Burda JV
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 14