Functional characterization of the SIZ/PIAS-type SUMO E3 ligases, OsSIZ1 and OsSIZ2 in rice
Bressan, Ray Anthony
Bohnert, Hans Jürgen
Online Publication Date2010-06-18
Print Publication Date2010-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561553
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSumoylation is a post-translational regulatory process in diverse cellular processes in eukaryotes, involving conjugation/deconjugation of small ubiquitin-like modifier (SUMO) proteins to other proteins thus modifying their function. The PIAS [protein inhibitor of activated signal transducers and activators of transcription (STAT)] and SAP (scaffold attachment factor A/B/acinus/PIAS)/MIZ (SIZ) proteins exhibit SUMO E3-ligase activity that facilitates the conjugation of SUMO proteins to target substrates. Here, we report the isolation and molecular characterization of Oryza sativa SIZ1 (OsSIZ1) and SIZ2 (OsSIZ2), rice homologs of Arabidopsis SIZ1. The rice SIZ proteins are localized to the nucleus and showed sumoylation activities in a tobacco system. Our analysis showed increased amounts of SUMO conjugates associated with environmental stresses such as high and low temperature, NaCl and abscisic acid (ABA) in rice plants. The expression of OsSIZ1 and OsSIZ2 in siz1-2 Arabidopsis plants partially complemented the morphological mutant phenotype and enhanced levels of SUMO conjugates under heat shock conditions. In addition, ABA-hypersensitivity of siz1-2 seed germination was partially suppressed by OsSIZ1 and OsSIZ2. The results suggest that rice SIZ1 and SIZ2 are able to functionally complement Arabidopsis SIZ1 in the SUMO conjugation pathway. Their effects on the Arabidopsis mutant suggest a function for these genes related to stress responses and stress adaptation. © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
CitationPARK, H. C., KIM, H., KOO, S. C., PARK, H. J., CHEONG, M. S., HONG, H., … YUN, D.-J. (2010). Functional characterization of the SIZ/PIAS-type SUMO E3 ligases, OsSIZ1 and OsSIZ2 in rice. Plant, Cell & Environment, 33(11), 1923–1934. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3040.2010.02195.x
SponsorsThis work was supported by grants from the Biogreen 21 Program (20080401034023) of the Rural Development Administration, the World Class University Program (R32-10148) and the Environmental Biotechnology National Core Research Center (Grant#: R15-2003-012-01002-00) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology in Korea.
JournalPlant, Cell & Environment
- Functional characterization of DnSIZ1, a SIZ/PIAS-type SUMO E3 ligase from Dendrobium.
- Authors: Liu F, Wang X, Su M, Yu M, Zhang S, Lai J, Yang C, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 17
- A novel tomato SUMO E3 ligase, SlSIZ1, confers drought tolerance in transgenic tobacco.
- Authors: Zhang S, Zhuang K, Wang S, Lv J, Ma N, Meng Q
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Functional identification of MdSIZ1 as a SUMO E3 ligase in apple.
- Authors: Zhang RF, Guo Y, Li YY, Zhou LJ, Hao YJ, You CX
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 1
- Heterologous expression of OsSIZ1, a rice SUMO E3 ligase, enhances broad abiotic stress tolerance in transgenic creeping bentgrass.
- Authors: Li Z, Hu Q, Zhou M, Vandenbrink J, Li D, Menchyk N, Reighard S, Norris A, Liu H, Sun D, Luo H
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Specific domain structures control abscisic acid-, salicylic acid-, and stress-mediated SIZ1 phenotypes.
- Authors: Cheong MS, Park HC, Hong MJ, Lee J, Choi W, Jin JB, Bohnert HJ, Lee SY, Bressan RA, Yun DJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec