AuthorsMahfouz, Magdy M.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Plant Science Program
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561530
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpigenetic RNA based gene silencing mechanisms play a major role in genome stability and control of gene expression. Transcriptional gene silencing via RNA-directed DNA methylation (RdDM) guides the epigenetic regulation of the genome in response to disease states, growth, developmental and stress signals. RdDM machinery is composed of proteins that produce and modify 24-nt- long siRNAs, recruit the RdDM complex to genomic targets, methylate DNA and remodel chromatin. The final DNA methylation pattern is determined by either DNA methyltransferase alone or by the combined action of DNA methyltransferases and demethylases. The dynamic interaction between RdDM and demethylases may render the plant epigenome plastic to growth, developmental, and environmental cues. The epigenome plasticity may allow the plant genome to assume many epigenomes and to have the right epigenome at the right time in response to intracellular or extracellular stimuli. This review discusses recent advances in RdDM research and considers future perspectives.
PublisherInforma UK Limited
JournalPlant Signaling & Behavior
PubMed Central IDPMC3115029
- RNA-directed DNA methylation.
- Authors: Zhang H, Zhu JK
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- RNA-directed DNA methylation and demethylation in plants.
- Authors: Chinnusamy V, Zhu JK
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- [Advances in the RNA-directed DNA methylation in plants].
- Authors: Fu LY, Liu ZQ, Bai YL
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Non-canonical RNA-directed DNA methylation.
- Authors: Cuerda-Gil D, Slotkin RK
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 3
- The initiation of epigenetic silencing of active transposable elements is triggered by RDR6 and 21-22 nucleotide small interfering RNAs.
- Authors: Nuthikattu S, McCue AD, Panda K, Fultz D, DeFraia C, Thomas EN, Slotkin RK
- Issue date: 2013 May