Pore fabrication in various silica-based nanoparticles by controlled etching
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Nanostructured Functional Materials (NFM) laboratory
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561526
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel method based on controlled etching was developed to fabricate nanopores on preformed silica nanoparticles (<100 nm in diameter). The obtained monodisperse nanoporous particles could form highly stable homogeneous colloidal solution. Fluorescent silica nanoparticles and magnetic silica-coated γ-Fe 2O 3 nanoparticles were investigated as examples to illustrate that this strategy could be generally applied to various silica-based functional nanoparticles. The results indicated that this method was effective for generating pores on these nanoparticles without altering their original functionalities. The obtained multifunctional nanoparticles would be useful for many biological and biomedical applications. These porous nanoparticles could also serve as building blocks to fabricate three-dimensionally periodic structures that have the potential to be used as photonic crystals. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThis work is supported by the collaborative travel fund (CTF) from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Preparation for highly sensitive MRI contrast agents using core/shell type nanoparticles consisting of multiple SPIO cores with thin silica coating.
- Authors: Tanaka K, Narita A, Kitamura N, Uchiyama W, Morita M, Inubushi T, Chujo Y
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 20
- A magnetic, reversible pH-responsive nanogated ensemble based on Fe3O4 nanoparticles-capped mesoporous silica.
- Authors: Gan Q, Lu X, Yuan Y, Qian J, Zhou H, Lu X, Shi J, Liu C
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Repetitive heterocoagulation of oppositely charged particles for enhancement of magnetic nanoparticle loading into monodisperse silica particles.
- Authors: Matsumoto H, Nagao D, Konno M
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 16
- One-pot synthesis and characterizations of bi-functional phosphor-magnetic @SiO(2) nanoparticles: controlled and structured association of Mo(6) cluster units and gamma-Fe(2)O(3) nanocrystals.
- Authors: Grasset F, Dorson F, Molard Y, Cordier S, Demange V, Perrin C, Marchi-Artzner V, Haneda H
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 21
- Superparamagnetic gamma-Fe2O3@SiO2 nanoparticles: a novel support for the immobilization of [VO(acac)2].
- Authors: Pereira C, Pereira AM, Quaresma P, Tavares PB, Pereira E, Araújo JP, Freire C
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 21