Characterization of soluble microbial products and their fouling impacts in membrane bioreactors
Kennedy, Maria Dolores
Schepper, Veerle D.
Vanrolleghem, Peter A.
Amy, Gary L.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMembrane bioreactor (MBR) fouling is not only influenced by the soluble microbial products (SMP) concentration but by their characteristics. Experiments of separate producing biomass associated products (BAP) and utilization associated products (UAP) allowed the separation of BAP and UAP effects from sludge water (SW). Thus, filtration of individual SMP components and further characterization becomes possible. Unstirred cell filtration was used to study fouling mechanisms and liquid chromatography-organic carbon detection (LC-OCD) and fluorescence excitation-emission matrix (EEM) were used to characterize the foulant. Generally, the SMP exhibiting characteristics of higher molecular weight, greater hydrophilicity and a more reduced state showed a higher retention percentage. However, the higher retention does not always yield higher fouling effects. The UAP filtration showed the highest specific cake resistance and pore blocking resistance attributed to their higher percentage of low molecular weight molecules, although their retention percentage was lower than the SW and BAP filtration. The UAP produced in the cell proliferation phase appeared to have the highest fouling potential. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Comparison of membrane biofouling in nitrification and denitrification for the membrane bioreactor (MBR).
- Authors: Jang N, Ren X, Choi K, Kim IS
- Issue date: 2006
- Membrane fouling in a membrane bioreactor (MBR): sludge cake formation and fouling characteristics.
- Authors: Ping Chu H, Li XY
- Issue date: 2005 May 5
- Soluble microbial products in membrane bioreactor operation: Behaviors, characteristics, and fouling potential.
- Authors: Liang S, Liu C, Song L
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Formation of distinct soluble microbial products by activated sludge: kinetic analysis and quantitative determination.
- Authors: Ni BJ, Fang F, Xie WM, Xu J, Yu HQ
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 7
- Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor--a review.
- Authors: Bal AS, Dhagat NN
- Issue date: 2001 Apr