Microscopic structural analysis of fractured silk fibers from Bombyx mori and Samia cynthia ricini using 13C CP/MAS NMR with a 1 mm microcoil MAS NMR probehead
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561515
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConformational changes have been studied in silk fibers from the domestic silkworm Bombyx mori and a wild silkworm Samia cynthia ricini as a result of fractured by stretching. About 300 samples consisting of only the fractured regions of [1-13C]Ala or [1-13C]Gly labeled silk fibers were collected and observed by 13C CP/MAS NMR spectra. The total amount of these fractured fibers is only about 1 mg and therefore we used a home-built 1 mm microcoil MAS NMR probehead. A very small increase in the fraction of random coil was noted for the alanine regions of both silk fibroins and for the glycine region of B. mori silk fibroin. However, there is no difference in the spectra before and after fractured for the glycine region of S. c. ricini silk fibroin. Thus, the influence of fracture occurs exclusively at the Ala region for S. c. ricini. The relationship between sequence, fracture and structure is discussed. © 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
CitationYamauchi, K., Yamasaki, S., Takahashi, R., & Asakura, T. (2010). Microscopic structural analysis of fractured silk fibers from Bombyx mori and Samia cynthia ricini using 13C CP/MAS NMR with a 1mm microcoil MAS NMR probehead. Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, 38(1), 27–30. doi:10.1016/j.ssnmr.2010.06.002
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the financial support of SENTAN, JST for the NMR probehead developments. TA acknowledges support from a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research from Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Supports of Japan (18105007) and also the Bio-oriented Technology Research Advancement Institution (BRAIN), Japan. The authors acknowledge Prof. Mike Williamson, University of Sheffield, UK for many suggestions and careful reading of our paper.
- Design, expression and solid-state NMR characterization of silk-like materials constructed from sequences of spider silk, Samia cynthia ricini and Bombyx mori silk fibroins.
- Authors: Yang M, Asakura T
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Structures of Bombyx mori and Samia cynthia ricini silk fibroins studied with solid-state NMR.
- Authors: Yao J, Nakazawa Y, Asakura T
- Issue date: 2004 May-Jun
- Structure and structural changes of the silk fibroin from Samia cynthia ricini using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.
- Authors: Asakura T, Nakazawa Y
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 15
- 13C CP/MAS NMR study on structural heterogeneity in Bombyx mori silk fiber and their generation by stretching.
- Authors: Asakura T, Yao J
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Structure determination of a peptide model of the repeated helical domain in Samia cynthia ricini silk fibroin before spinning by a combination of advanced solid-state NMR methods.
- Authors: Nakazawa Y, Asakura T
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 18