Rapid transcriptome and proteome profiling of a non-model marine invertebrate, Bugula neritina
Voolstra, Christian R.
Bajic, Vladimir B.
KAUST DepartmentApplied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Bioscience Core Lab
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Integrative Systems Biology Lab
KAUST Global Collaborative Research Program
Marine Science Program
OCRF- Special Academic Partnership
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Reef Genomics Lab
KAUST Grant NumberSA-00040/UKC0016
Online Publication Date2010-06-10
Print Publication Date2010-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561511
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-model organisms represent the majority of life forms in our planet. However, the lack of genetic information hinders us to understand the unique biological phenomena in non-model organisms at the molecular level. In this study, we applied a tandem transcriptome and proteome profiling on a non-model marine fouling organism, Bugula neritina. Using a 454 pyrosequencing platform with the updated titanium reagents, we generated a total of 48M bp transcriptome data consisting of 131 450 high-quality reads. Of these, 122 650 reads (93%) were assembled to produce 6392 contigs with an average length of 538 bases and the remaining 8800 reads were singletons. Of the total 15 192 unigenes, 13 863 ORFs were predicated, of which 6917 were functionally annotated based on gene ontology and eukaryotic orthologous groups. Subsequent proteome analysis identified and quantified 882 proteins from B. neritina. These results would provide fundamental and important information for the subsequent studies of molecular mechanism in larval biology, development, antifouling research. Furthermore, we demonstrated, for the first time, the combined use of two high-throughput technologies as a powerful approach for accelerating the studies of non-model but otherwise important species. © 2010 Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
CitationWang, H., Zhang, H., Wong, Y. H., Voolstra, C., Ravasi, T., B. Bajic, V., & Qian, P.-Y. (2010). Rapid transcriptome and proteome profiling of a non-model marine invertebrate, Bugula neritina. PROTEOMICS, 10(16), 2972–2981. doi:10.1002/pmic.201000056
SponsorsThe pyrosequencing raw data were submitted to the SRA of NCBI with the accession number SRA010777.2. The authors thank Dr. On On Lee and Dr. Shawn Arallno for comments and suggestions of this manuscript. This work was supported by an Award No. SA-00040/UKC0016 of the King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST), the RGC grants of HKSAR (662408, N HKUST602/09, AoE/P-04/04-02-II) to P.-Y Qian.
CollectionsArticles; Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division; Red Sea Research Center (RSRC); Bioscience Program; Marine Science Program; Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program; Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC); Bioscience Core Lab; Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Science and Engineering (CEMSE) Division; Reef Genomics, part of the Global Ocean Genome Project
- Quantitative proteomics identify molecular targets that are crucial in larval settlement and metamorphosis of Bugula neritina.
- Authors: Zhang H, Wong YH, Wang H, Chen Z, Arellano SM, Ravasi T, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 7
- Changes in the proteome and phosphoproteome expression in the bryozoan Bugula neritina larvae in response to the antifouling agent butenolide.
- Authors: Qian PY, Wong YH, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- 2D gel-based proteome and phosphoproteome analysis during larval metamorphosis in two major marine biofouling invertebrates.
- Authors: Thiyagarajan V, Wong T, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Tribolium castaneum larval gut transcriptome and proteome: A resource for the study of the coleopteran gut.
- Authors: Morris K, Lorenzen MD, Hiromasa Y, Tomich JM, Oppert C, Elpidina EN, Vinokurov K, Jurat-Fuentes JL, Fabrick J, Oppert B
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Quantitative proteome and transcriptome analysis of the archaeon Thermoplasma acidophilum cultured under aerobic and anaerobic conditions.
- Authors: Sun N, Pan C, Nickell S, Mann M, Baumeister W, Nagy I
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 3