Enhancement of device performance of organic solar cells by an interfacial perylene derivative layer
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561499
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report that device performance of organic solar cells consisting of zinc phthalocyanine and fullerene (C60) can be enhanced by insertion of a perylene derivative interfacial layer between fullerene and bathocuproine (BCP) exciton blocking layer (EBL). The morphology of the BCP is influenced by the underlying N,N′-dihexyl-perylene-3,4,9,10-bis(dicarboximide) (PTCDI-C6), which promotes migration of the cathode metal into the BCP layer. Insertion of a PTCDI-C6 layer between fullerene and BCP layers enhances the power conversion efficiency to 2.5%, an improvement of 32% over devices without PTCDI-C6 layer. The enhancement in device performance by insertion of PTCDI-C6 is attributed to a reduction in series resistance due to promoted metal migration into BCP and optimized optical interference effects in multilayered devices. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge useful discussions with Dr. Parul Dhagat, Dr. Madhusudan Singh, and Dr. Xiaohui Yang, and thank the Advanced Photovoltaics Center and the National Science Foundation for the partial support of this work (CBET-0756148). H.M.H and G.E.J. also acknowledge the Graduate School of Modern Optics and Photonics and the FiDiPro of Finland for their support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Organic photovoltaic solar cells with cathode modified by ZnO.
- Authors: Kim HP, Yusoff AR, Jang J
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- All solution processable organic photovoltaic cells using DMDCNQI as an organic N-type buffer layer.
- Authors: Yang EY, So BM, Chung CM, Oh SY
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Inkjet printed solar cell active layers based on a novel, amorphous polymer.
- Authors: Lange A, Schindler W, Wegener M, Fostiropoulos K, Janietz S
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Singlet exciton fission in nanostructured organic solar cells.
- Authors: Jadhav PJ, Mohanty A, Sussman J, Lee J, Baldo MA
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 13
- Light harvesting improvement of organic solar cells with self-enhanced active layer designs.
- Authors: Chen L, Sha WE, Choy WC
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 26