An SGS3-like protein functions in RNA-directed DNA methylation and transcriptional gene silencing in Arabidopsis
Yadav, Sudesh Kumar
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Center for Desert Agriculture
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Office of the VP
Online Publication Date2010-01-06
Print Publication Date2010-04
Embargo End Date2011-01-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561468
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRNA-directed DNA methylation (RdDM) is an important epigenetic mechanism for silencing transgenes and endogenous repetitive sequences such as transposons. The RD29A promoter-driven LUCIFERASE transgene and its corresponding endogenous RD29A gene are hypermethylated and silenced in the Arabidopsis DNA demethylase mutant ros1. By screening for second-site suppressors of ros1, we identified the RDM12 locus. The rdm12 mutation releases the silencing of the RD29A-LUC transgene and the endogenous RD29A gene by reducing the promoter DNA methylation. The rdm12 mutation also reduces DNA methylation at endogenous RdDM target loci, including transposons and other repetitive sequences. In addition, the rdm12 mutation affects the levels of small interfering RNAs (siRNAs) from some of the RdDM target loci. RDM12 encodes a protein with XS and coiled-coil domains, and is similar to SGS3, which is a partner protein of RDR6 and can bind to double-stranded RNAs with a 5′ overhang, and is required for several post-transcriptional gene silencing pathways. Our results show that RDM12 is a component of the RdDM pathway, and suggest that RdDM may involve double-stranded RNAs with a 5′ overhang and the partnering between RDM12 and RDR2. © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
CitationZheng, Z., Xing, Y., He, X.-J., Li, W., Hu, Y., Yadav, S. K., … Zhu, J.-K. (2010). An SGS3-like protein functions in RNA-directed DNA methylation and transcriptional gene silencing in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal, 62(1), 92–99. doi:10.1111/j.1365-313x.2010.04130.x
SponsorsThis work was supported by National Institutes of Health grant R01GM070795 to J-KZ and a BOYSCAST Fellowship, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India to SKY.
JournalThe Plant Journal
PubMed Central IDPMC2858770
- IDN2 has a role downstream of siRNA formation in RNA-directed DNA methylation.
- Authors: Finke A, Kuhlmann M, Mette MF
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- A subgroup of SGS3-like proteins act redundantly in RNA-directed DNA methylation.
- Authors: Xie M, Ren G, Costa-Nunes P, Pontes O, Yu B
- Issue date: 2012 May
- The initiation of epigenetic silencing of active transposable elements is triggered by RDR6 and 21-22 nucleotide small interfering RNAs.
- Authors: Nuthikattu S, McCue AD, Panda K, Fultz D, DeFraia C, Thomas EN, Slotkin RK
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Arabidopsis double-stranded RNA binding protein DRB3 participates in methylation-mediated defense against geminiviruses.
- Authors: Raja P, Jackel JN, Li S, Heard IM, Bisaro DM
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- NRPD4, a protein related to the RPB4 subunit of RNA polymerase II, is a component of RNA polymerases IV and V and is required for RNA-directed DNA methylation.
- Authors: He XJ, Hsu YF, Pontes O, Zhu J, Lu J, Bressan RA, Pikaard C, Wang CS, Zhu JK
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 1