Three-Dimensional scanning transmission electron microscopy of biological specimens
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA three-dimensional (3D) reconstruction of the cytoskeleton and a clathrin-coated pit in mammalian cells has been achieved from a focal-series of images recorded in an aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscope (STEM). The specimen was a metallic replica of the biological structure comprising Pt nanoparticles 2-3 nm in diameter, with a high stability under electron beam radiation. The 3D dataset was processed by an automated deconvolution procedure. The lateral resolution was 1.1 nm, set by pixel size. Particles differing by only 10 nm in vertical position were identified as separate objects with greater than 20% dip in contrast between them. We refer to this value as the axial resolution of the deconvolution or reconstruction, the ability to recognize two objects, which were unresolved in the original dataset. The resolution of the reconstruction is comparable to that achieved by tilt-series transmission electron microscopy. However, the focal-series method does not require mechanical tilting and is therefore much faster. 3D STEM images were also recorded of the Golgi ribbon in conventional thin sections containing 3T3 cells with a comparable axial resolution in the deconvolved dataset. © 2010 Microscopy Society of America.
PublisherCambridge University Press (CUP)
JournalMicroscopy and Microanalysis
PubMed Central IDPMC2917646
- Three-dimensional locations of gold-labeled proteins in a whole mount eukaryotic cell obtained with 3nm precision using aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy.
- Authors: Dukes MJ, Ramachandra R, Baudoin JP, Gray Jerome W, de Jonge N
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Combined scanning transmission electron microscopy tilt- and focal series.
- Authors: Dahmen T, Baudoin JP, Lupini AR, Kübel C, Slusallek P, de Jonge N
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- The three-dimensional point spread function of aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy.
- Authors: Lupini AR, de Jonge N
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Optimized deconvolution for maximum axial resolution in three-dimensional aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy.
- Authors: Ramachandra R, de Jonge N
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Preparation and Observation of Thick Biological Samples by Scanning Transmission Electron Tomography.
- Authors: Trépout S, Bastin P, Marco S
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 12