Influence of groundwater composition on subsurface iron and arsenic removal
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2012-06-08
Print Publication Date2012-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561408
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSubsurface arsenic and iron removal (SAR/SIR) is a novel technology to remove arsenic, iron and other groundwater components by using the subsoil. This research project investigated the influence of the groundwater composition on subsurface treatment. In anoxic sand column experiments, with synthetic groundwater and virgin sand, it was found that several dissolved substances in groundwater compete for adsorption sites with arsenic and iron. The presence of 0.01 mmol L -1phosphate, 0.2 mmol L -1 silicate, and 1 mmol L -1 nitrate greatly reduced the efficiency of SAR, illustrating the vulnerability of this technology in diverse geochemical settings. SIR was not as sensitive to other inorganic groundwater compounds, though iron retardation was limited by 1.2 mmol L -1 calcium and 0.06 mmol L -1 manganese. © IWA Publishing 2012.
JournalWater Science & Technology
- Subsurface iron and arsenic removal for shallow tube well drinking water supply in rural Bangladesh.
- Authors: van Halem D, Olivero S, de Vet WW, Verberk JQ, Amy GL, van Dijk JC
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Investigation of As, Mn and Fe fixation inside the aquifer during groundwater exploitation in the experimental system imitated natural conditions.
- Authors: Dung NT, Con TH, Cam BD, Kang Y
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- In situ treatment of arsenic contaminated groundwater by aquifer iron coating: Experimental study.
- Authors: Xie X, Wang Y, Pi K, Liu C, Li J, Liu Y, Wang Z, Duan M
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 15
- Arsenate removal by zero valent iron: batch and column tests.
- Authors: Biterna M, Arditsoglou A, Tsikouras E, Voutsa D
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 19
- Preparation and evaluation of iron-chitosan composites for removal of As(III) and As(V) from arsenic contaminated real life groundwater.
- Authors: Gupta A, Chauhan VS, Sankararamakrishnan N
- Issue date: 2009 Aug