A plant microRNA regulates the adaptation of roots to drought stress
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Plant Stress Genomics Research Lab
Online Publication Date2012-05-18
Print Publication Date2012-06-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561405
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlants tend to restrict their horizontal root proliferation in response to drought stress, an adaptive response mediated by the phytohormone abscisic acid (ABA) in antagonism with auxin through unknown mechanisms. Here, we found that stress-regulated miR393-guided cleavage of the transcripts encoding two auxin receptors, TIR1 and AFB2, was required for inhibition of lateral root growth by ABA or osmotic stress. Unlike in the control plants, the lateral root growth of seedlings expressing miR393-resistant TIR1 or AFB2 was no longer inhibited by ABA or osmotic stress. Our results indicate that miR393-mediated attenuation of auxin signaling modulates root adaptation to drought stress. © 2012 Federation of European Biochemical Societies. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis study was supported by the National Science Foundation (Grant #0446359) and USDA-NRI (Grant #2004-02111) (to L.X.) and partially by faculty startup funds from KAUST (to L.X.). The authors thank Dr. Zhenyu Wang for technical assistance.
- Overexpression of a miR393-resistant form of transport inhibitor response protein 1 (mTIR1) enhances salt tolerance by increased osmoregulation and Na+ exclusion in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Chen Z, Hu L, Han N, Hu J, Yang Y, Xiang T, Zhang X, Wang L
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Molecular and physiological characterization of the Arabidopsis thaliana Oxidation-related Zinc Finger 2, a plasma membrane protein involved in ABA and salt stress response through the ABI2-mediated signaling pathway.
- Authors: Huang P, Ju HW, Min JH, Zhang X, Chung JS, Cheong HS, Kim CS
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Complex regulation of the TIR1/AFB family of auxin receptors.
- Authors: Parry G, Calderon-Villalobos LI, Prigge M, Peret B, Dharmasiri S, Itoh H, Lechner E, Gray WM, Bennett M, Estelle M
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 29
- Nitric oxide influences auxin signaling through S-nitrosylation of the Arabidopsis TRANSPORT INHIBITOR RESPONSE 1 auxin receptor.
- Authors: Terrile MC, París R, Calderón-Villalobos LI, Iglesias MJ, Lamattina L, Estelle M, Casalongué CA
- Issue date: 2012 May
- The MYB96 transcription factor mediates abscisic acid signaling during drought stress response in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Seo PJ, Xiang F, Qiao M, Park JY, Lee YN, Kim SG, Lee YH, Park WJ, Park CM
- Issue date: 2009 Sep