Superconducting characteristics of 4-Å carbon nanotube-zeolite composite
AuthorsLortz, Rolf W.
KAUST DepartmentCore Labs
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2009-04-15
Print Publication Date2009-05-05
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561393
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have fabricated nanocomposites consisting of 4-A carbon nanotubes embedded in the 0.7-nm pores of aluminophosphate- five (AFI) zeolite that display a superconducting specific heat transition at 15 K. MicroRaman spectra of the samples show strong and spatially uniform radial breathing mode (RBM) signals at 510 cm-1 and 550 cm-1, characteristic of the (4,2) and (5,0) nanotubes, respectively. The specific heat transition is suppressed at >2T, with a temperature dependence characteristic of finite-size effects. Comparison with theory shows the behavior to be consistent with that of a type II BCS superconductor, characterized by a coherence length of 14 ± 2 nm and a magnetic penetration length of 1.5 ± 0.7 μm. Four probe and differential resistance measurements have also indicated a superconducting transition initiating at 15 K, but the magnetoresistance data indicate the superconducting network to be inhomogeneous, with a component being susceptible to magnetic fields below 3 T and other parts capable of withstanding a magnetic field of 5Tor beyond.
CitationLortz, R., Zhang, Q., Shi, W., Ye, J. T., Qiu, C., Wang, Z., … Chan, C. T. (2009). Superconducting characteristics of 4-A carbon nanotube-zeolite composite. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106(18), 7299–7303. doi:10.1073/pnas.0813162106
PubMed Central IDPMC2678622
- Superconductivity in 4-Angstrom carbon nanotubes--a short review.
- Authors: Wang Z, Shi W, Lortz R, Sheng P
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 7
- Temperature dependence of the magnetic penetration depth in the vortex state of the pyrochlore superconductor, Cd2Re2O7.
- Authors: Lumsden MD, Dunsiger SR, Sonier JE, Miller RI, Kiefl RF, Jin R, He J, Mandrus D, Bramwell ST, Gardner JS
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 30
- Highly aligned carbon nanotube forests coated by superconducting NbC.
- Authors: Zou GF, Luo HM, Baily S, Zhang YY, Haberkorn NF, Xiong J, Bauer E, McCleskey TM, Burrell AK, Civale L, Zhu YT, Macmanus-Driscoll JL, Jia QX
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 16
- Superconductivity in 4 angstrom single-walled carbon nanotubes.
- Authors: Tang ZK, Zhang L, Wang N, Zhang XX, Wen GH, Li GD, Wang JN, Chan CT, Sheng P
- Issue date: 2001 Jun 29
- High critical field NbC superconductor on carbon spheres.
- Authors: Bhattacharjee K, Pati SP, Maity A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 1