A two-dimensional continuum model of biofilm growth incorporating fluid flow and shear stress based detachment
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Mechanical Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561392
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a two-dimensional biofilm growth model in a continuum framework using an Eulerian description. A computational technique based on the eXtended Finite Element Method (XFEM) and the level set method is used to simulate the growth of the biofilm. The model considers fluid flow around the biofilm surface, the advection-diffusion and reaction of substrate, variable biomass volume fraction and erosion due to the interfacial shear stress at the biofilm-fluid interface. The key assumptions of the model and the governing equations of transport, biofilm kinetics and biofilm mechanics are presented. Our 2D biofilm growth results are in good agreement with those obtained by Picioreanu et al. (Biotechnol Bioeng 69(5):504-515, 2000). Detachment due to erosion is modeled using two continuous speed functions based on: (a) interfacial shear stress and (b) biofilm height. A relation between the two detachment models in the case of a 1D biofilm is established and simulated biofilm results with detachment in 2D are presented. The stress in the biofilm due to fluid flow is evaluated and higher stresses are observed close to the substratum where the biofilm is attached. © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
JournalBiotechnology and Bioengineering
- 3D finite element model of biofilm detachment using real biofilm structures from CLSM data.
- Authors: Böl M, Möhle RB, Haesner M, Neu TR, Horn H, Krull R
- Issue date: 2009 May 1
- Two-dimensional model of biofilm detachment caused by internal stress from liquid flow.
- Authors: Picioreanu C, van Loosdrecht MC, Heijnen JJ
- Issue date: 2001 Jan 20
- A three-dimensional computer model analysis of three hypothetical biofilm detachment mechanisms.
- Authors: Chambless JD, Stewart PS
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 15
- Simulation of growth and detachment in biofilm systems under defined hydrodynamic conditions.
- Authors: Horn H, Reiff H, Morgenroth E
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 5
- A general description of detachment for multidimensional modelling of biofilms.
- Authors: Xavier Jde B, Picioreanu C, van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 20