A Critical SUMO1 Modification of LKB1 Regulates AMPK Activity during Energy Stress
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Online Publication Date2015-07-23
Print Publication Date2015-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561186
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSUMOylation has been implicated in cellular stress adaptation, but its role in regulating liver kinase B1 (LKB1), a major upstream kinase of the energy sensor AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), is unknown. Here, we show that energy stress triggers an increase in SUMO1 modification of LKB1, despite a global reduction in both SUMO1 and SUMO2/3 conjugates. During metabolic stress, SUMO1 modification of LKB1 lysine 178 is essential in promoting its interaction with AMPK via a SUMO-interacting motif (SIM) essential for AMPK activation. The LKB1 K178R SUMO mutant had defective AMPK signaling and mitochondrial function, inducing death in energy-deprived cells. These results provide additional insight into how LKB1-AMPK signaling is regulated during energy stress, and they highlight the critical role of SUMOylation in maintaining the cell’s energy equilibrium.
CitationA Critical SUMO1 Modification of LKB1 Regulates AMPK Activity during Energy Stress 2015 Cell Reports
- The tumor suppressor LKB1 kinase directly activates AMP-activated kinase and regulates apoptosis in response to energy stress.
- Authors: Shaw RJ, Kosmatka M, Bardeesy N, Hurley RL, Witters LA, DePinho RA, Cantley LC
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 9
- Convergence of IPMK and LKB1-AMPK signaling pathways on metformin action.
- Authors: Bang S, Chen Y, Ahima RS, Kim SF
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Phosphorylation of serine 399 in LKB1 protein short form by protein kinase Cζ is required for its nucleocytoplasmic transport and consequent AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) activation.
- Authors: Zhu H, Moriasi CM, Zhang M, Zhao Y, Zou MH
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 7
- SUMOylation regulates the SNF1 protein kinase.
- Authors: Simpson-Lavy KJ, Johnston M
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 22
- Disruption of Fyn SH3 domain interaction with a proline-rich motif in liver kinase B1 results in activation of AMP-activated protein kinase.
- Authors: Yamada E, Bastie CC
- Issue date: 2014