Markov State Models Reveal a Two-Step Mechanism of miRNA Loading into the Human Argonaute Protein: Selective Binding followed by Structural Re-arrangement
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractArgonaute (Ago) proteins and microRNAs (miRNAs) are central components in RNA interference, which is a key cellular mechanism for sequence-specific gene silencing. Despite intensive studies, molecular mechanisms of how Ago recognizes miRNA remain largely elusive. In this study, we propose a two-step mechanism for this molecular recognition: selective binding followed by structural re-arrangement. Our model is based on the results of a combination of Markov State Models (MSMs), large-scale protein-RNA docking, and molecular dynamics (MD) simulations. Using MSMs, we identify an open state of apo human Ago-2 in fast equilibrium with partially open and closed states. Conformations in this open state are distinguished by their largely exposed binding grooves that can geometrically accommodate miRNA as indicated in our protein-RNA docking studies. miRNA may then selectively bind to these open conformations. Upon the initial binding, the complex may perform further structural re-arrangement as shown in our MD simulations and eventually reach the stable binary complex structure. Our results provide novel insights in Ago-miRNA recognition mechanisms and our methodology holds great potential to be widely applied in the studies of other important molecular recognition systems.
CitationMarkov State Models Reveal a Two-Step Mechanism of miRNA Loading into the Human Argonaute Protein: Selective Binding followed by Structural Re-arrangement 2015, 11 (7):e1004404 PLOS Computational Biology
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
JournalPLOS Computational Biology
- Elucidating Mechanisms of Molecular Recognition Between Human Argonaute and miRNA Using Computational Approaches.
- Authors: Jiang H, Zhu L, Héliou A, Gao X, Bernauer J, Huang X
- Issue date: 2017
- Constructing Kinetic Network Models to Elucidate Mechanisms of Functional Conformational Changes of Enzymes and Their Recognition with Ligands.
- Authors: Zhang L, Jiang H, Sheong FK, Pardo-Avila F, Cheung PP, Huang X
- Issue date: 2016
- Assembly and analysis of eukaryotic Argonaute-RNA complexes in microRNA-target recognition.
- Authors: Gan HH, Gunsalus KC
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 16
- Local and global effects of Mg2+ on Ago and miRNA-target interactions.
- Authors: Ma Z, Xue Z, Zhang H, Li Y, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Exploring the RNA-bound and RNA-free human Argonaute-2 by molecular dynamics simulation method.
- Authors: Kong R, Xu L, Piao L, Zhang D, Hou TJ, Chang S
- Issue date: 2017 Nov