Determination of band alignment in the single-layer MoS2/WSe2 heterojunction
Chang, Chih-Yuan S.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe emergence of two-dimensional electronic materials has stimulated proposals of novel electronic and photonic devices based on the heterostructures of transition metal dichalcogenides. Here we report the determination of band offsets in the heterostructures of transition metal dichalcogenides by using microbeam X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and scanning tunnelling microscopy/spectroscopy. We determine a type-II alignment between MoS2 and WSe2 with a valence band offset value of 0.83 eV and a conduction band offset of 0.76 eV. First-principles calculations show that in this heterostructure with dissimilar chalcogen atoms, the electronic structures of WSe2 and MoS2 are well retained in their respective layers due to a weak interlayer coupling. Moreover, a valence band offset of 0.94 eV is obtained from density functional theory, consistent with the experimental determination.
CitationDetermination of band alignment in the single-layer MoS2/WSe2 heterojunction 2015, 6:7666 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Band Alignment at GaN/Single-Layer WSe<sub>2</sub> Interface.
- Authors: Tangi M, Mishra P, Tseng CC, Ng TK, Hedhili MN, Anjum DH, Alias MS, Wei N, Li LJ, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 15
- Tuning Coupling Behavior of Stacked Heterostructures Based on MoS<sub>2</sub>, WS<sub>2</sub>, and WSe<sub>2</sub>.
- Authors: Wang F, Wang J, Guo S, Zhang J, Hu Z, Chu J
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 17
- Interlayer couplings, Moiré patterns, and 2D electronic superlattices in MoS<sub>2</sub>/WSe<sub>2</sub> hetero-bilayers.
- Authors: Zhang C, Chuu CP, Ren X, Li MY, Li LJ, Jin C, Chou MY, Shih CK
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Band Alignment in MoS2/WS2 Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Heterostructures Probed by Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and Spectroscopy.
- Authors: Hill HM, Rigosi AF, Rim KT, Flynn GW, Heinz TF
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 10
- Determination of InN/Diamond Heterojunction Band Offset by X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy.
- Authors: Shi K, Li DB, Song HP, Guo Y, Wang J, Xu XQ, Liu JM, Yang AL, Wei HY, Zhang B, Yang SY, Liu XL, Zhu QS, Wang ZG
- Issue date: 2011 Dec