Seasonality in molecular and cytometric diversity of marine bacterioplankton: the reshuffling of bacterial taxa by vertical mixing
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/561069
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ’cytometric diversity’ of phytoplankton communities has been studied based on single-cell properties, but the applicability of this method to characterize bacterioplankton has been unexplored. Here, we analysed seasonal changes in cytometric diversity of marine bacterioplankton along a decadal time-series at three coastal stations in the Southern Bay of Biscay. Shannon-Weaver diversity estimates and Bray-Curtis similarities obtained by cytometric and molecular (16S rRNA tag sequencing) methods were significantly correlated in samples from a 3.5-year monthly time-series. Both methods showed a consistent cyclical pattern in the diversity of surface bacterial communities with maximal values in winter. The analysis of the highly resolved flow cytometry time-series across the vertical profile showed that water column mixing was a key factor explaining the seasonal changes in bacterial composition and the winter increase in bacterial diversity in coastal surface waters. Due to its low cost and short processing time as compared to genetic methods, the cytometric diversity approach represents a useful complementary tool in the macroecology of aquatic microbes.
CitationSeasonality in molecular and cytometric diversity of marine bacterioplankton: the reshuffling of bacterial taxa by vertical mixing 2015:n/a Environmental Microbiology
- Impact of a phytoplankton bloom on the diversity of the active bacterial community in the southern North Sea as revealed by metatranscriptomic approaches.
- Authors: Wemheuer B, Güllert S, Billerbeck S, Giebel HA, Voget S, Simon M, Daniel R
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Distribution, Community Composition, and Potential Metabolic Activity of Bacterioplankton in an Urbanized Mediterranean Sea Coastal Zone.
- Authors: Richa K, Balestra C, Piredda R, Benes V, Borra M, Passarelli A, Margiotta F, Saggiomo M, Biffali E, Sanges R, Scanlan DJ, Casotti R
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 1
- Bacterioplankton composition of the coastal upwelling system of 'Ría de Vigo', NW Spain.
- Authors: Alonso-Gutiérrez J, Lekunberri I, Teira E, Gasol JM, Figueras A, Novoa B
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Diversity of rare and abundant bacteria in surface waters of the Southern Adriatic Sea.
- Authors: Quero GM, Luna GM
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Diversity and Cyclical Seasonal Transitions in the Bacterial Community in a Large and Deep Perialpine Lake.
- Authors: Salmaso N, Albanese D, Capelli C, Boscaini A, Pindo M, Donati C
- Issue date: 2018 Jul