Synthesis and Exciton Dynamics of Triplet Sensitized Conjugated Polymers
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the synthesis of a novel polythiophene-based host-guest copolymer incorporating a Pt-porphyrin complex (TTP-Pt) into the backbone for efficient singlet to triplet polymer exciton sensitization. We elucidated the exciton dynamics in thin films of the material by means of Transient Absorption Spectrosopcy (TAS) on multiple timescales and investigated the mechanism of triplet exciton formation. During sensitization, single exciton diffusion is followed by exciton transfer from the polymer backbone to the complex where it undergoes intersystem crossing to the triplet state of the complex. We directly monitored the triplet exciton back transfer from the Pt-porphyrin to the polymer and find that 60% of the complex triplet excitons are transferred with a time constant of 1087 ps. We propose an equilibrium between polymer and porphyrin triplet states as a result of the low triplet diffusion length in the polymer backbone and hence an increased local triplet population resulting in increased triplet-triplet annihilation. This novel system has significant implications for the design of novel materials for triplet sensitized solar cells and up-conversion layers.
CitationSynthesis and Exciton Dynamics of Triplet Sensitized Conjugated Polymers 2015:150722135805007 Journal of the American Chemical Society
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Direct Observation of an Efficient Triplet Exciton Diffusion Process in a Platinum-Containing Conjugated Polymer.
- Authors: Du L, Xiong W, Cheng SC, Shi H, Chan WK, Phillips DL
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Observation of Triplet Exciton Formation in a Platinum-Sensitized Organic Photovoltaic Device.
- Authors: Roberts ST, Schlenker CW, Barlier V, McAnally RE, Zhang Y, Mastron JN, Thompson ME, Bradforth SE
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 20
- Near-IR femtosecond transient absorption spectroscopy of ultrafast polaron and triplet exciton formation in polythiophene films with different regioregularities.
- Authors: Guo J, Ohkita H, Benten H, Ito S
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 25
- Enhanced photogeneration of triplet excitons in an oligothiophene-fullerene blend.
- Authors: Schueppel R, Uhrich C, Pfeiffer M, Leo K, Brier E, Reinold E, Baeuerle P
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 16
- Charge recombination and exciton annihilation reactions in conjugated polymer blends.
- Authors: Howard IA, Hodgkiss JM, Zhang X, Kirov KR, Bronstein HA, Williams CK, Friend RH, Westenhoff S, Greenham NC
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 13