Photocurrent generation in lateral graphene p-n junction created by electron-beam irradiation
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Online Publication Date2015-07-08
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/560371
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGraphene has been considered as an attractive material for optoelectronic applications such as photodetectors owing to its extraordinary properties, e.g. broadband absorption and ultrahigh mobility. However, challenges still remain in fundamental and practical aspects of the conventional graphene photodetectors which normally rely on the photoconductive mode of operation which has the drawback of e.g. high dark current. Here, we demonstrated the photovoltaic mode operation in graphene p-n junctions fabricated by a simple but effective electron irradiation method that induces n-type doping in intrinsic p-type graphene. The physical mechanism of the junction formation is owing to the substrate gating effect caused by electron irradiation. Photoresponse was obtained for this type of photodetector because the photoexcited electron-hole pairs can be separated in the graphene p-n junction by the built-in potential. The fabricated graphene p-n junction photodetectors exhibit a high detectivity up to ~3 × 1010 Jones (cm Hz1/2 W−1) at room temperature, which is on a par with that of the traditional III–V photodetectors. The demonstrated novel and simple scheme for obtaining graphene p-n junctions can be used for other optoelectronic devices such as solar cells and be applied to other two dimensional materials based devices.
CitationPhotocurrent generation in lateral graphene p-n junction created by electron-beam irradiation 2015, 5:12014 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- High Detectivity Graphene-Silicon Heterojunction Photodetector.
- Authors: Li X, Zhu M, Du M, Lv Z, Zhang L, Li Y, Yang Y, Yang T, Li X, Wang K, Zhu H, Fang Y
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 3
- Broadband high photoresponse from pure monolayer graphene photodetector.
- Authors: Zhang BY, Liu T, Meng B, Li X, Liang G, Hu X, Wang QJ
- Issue date: 2013
- Locally hydrazine doped WSe<sub>2</sub> p-n junction toward high-performance photodetectors.
- Authors: Sun M, Xie D, Sun Y, Li W, Ren T
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 5
- Ultrahigh-Sensitive Broadband Photodetectors Based on Dielectric Shielded MoTe<sub>2</sub> /Graphene/SnS<sub>2</sub> p-g-n Junctions.
- Authors: Li A, Chen Q, Wang P, Gan Y, Qi T, Wang P, Tang F, Wu JZ, Chen R, Zhang L, Gong Y
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Flexible Broadband Graphene Photodetectors Enhanced by Plasmonic Cu<sub>3-</sub><sub>x</sub> P Colloidal Nanocrystals.
- Authors: Sun T, Wang Y, Yu W, Wang Y, Dai Z, Liu Z, Shivananju BN, Zhang Y, Fu K, Shabbir B, Ma W, Li S, Bao Q
- Issue date: 2017 Nov