High-quality bulk hybrid perovskite single crystals within minutes by inverse temperature crystallization
AuthorsSaidaminov, Makhsud I.
Abdelhady, Ahmed L.
Burlakov, Victor M.
Mohammed, Omar F.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
Functional Nanomaterials Lab (FuNL)
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Laboratory of Nano Oxides for Sustainable Energy
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Ultrafast Laser Spectroscopy and Four-dimensional Electron Imaging Research Group
Online Publication Date2015-07-06
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/559595
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSingle crystals of methylammonium lead trihalide perovskites (MAPbX3; MA=CH3NH3+, X=Br− or I−) have shown remarkably low trap density and charge transport properties; however, growth of such high-quality semiconductors is a time-consuming process. Here we present a rapid crystal growth process to obtain MAPbX3 single crystals, an order of magnitude faster than previous reports. The process is based on our observation of the substantial decrease of MAPbX3 solubility, in certain solvents, at elevated temperatures. The crystals can be both size- and shape-controlled by manipulating the different crystallization parameters. Despite the rapidity of the method, the grown crystals exhibit transport properties and trap densities comparable to the highest quality MAPbX3 reported to date. The phenomenon of inverse or retrograde solubility and its correlated inverse temperature crystallization strategy present a major step forward for advancing the field on perovskite crystallization.
CitationHigh-quality bulk hybrid perovskite single crystals within minutes by inverse temperature crystallization 2015, 6:7586 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
RelationsIs Supplemented By:
- Solar cells. Low trap-state density and long carrier diffusion in organolead trihalide perovskite single crystals.
- Authors: Shi D, Adinolfi V, Comin R, Yuan M, Alarousu E, Buin A, Chen Y, Hoogland S, Rothenberger A, Katsiev K, Losovyj Y, Zhang X, Dowben PA, Mohammed OF, Sargent EH, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 30
- High-Performance Planar-Type Ultraviolet Photodetector Based on High-Quality CH<sub>3</sub>NH<sub>3</sub>PbCl<sub>3</sub> Perovskite Single Crystals.
- Authors: Cheng Z, Liu K, Yang J, Chen X, Xie X, Li B, Zhang Z, Liu L, Shan C, Shen D
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 18
- CH3NH3PbCl3 Single Crystals: Inverse Temperature Crystallization and Visible-Blind UV-Photodetector.
- Authors: Maculan G, Sheikh AD, Abdelhady AL, Saidaminov MI, Haque MA, Murali B, Alarousu E, Mohammed OF, Wu T, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Single crystal hybrid perovskite field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Yu W, Li F, Yu L, Niazi MR, Zou Y, Corzo D, Basu A, Ma C, Dey S, Tietze ML, Buttner U, Wang X, Wang Z, Hedhili MN, Guo C, Wu T, Amassian A
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 17
- Crystallization of Methylammonium Lead Halide Perovskites by Optical Trapping.
- Authors: Yuyama KI, Islam MJ, Takahashi K, Nakamura T, Biju V
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 8