High-quality bulk hybrid perovskite single crystals within minutes by inverse temperature crystallization
AuthorsSaidaminov, Makhsud I.
Abdelhady, Ahmed L.
Burlakov, Victor M.
Mohammed, Omar F.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSingle crystals of methylammonium lead trihalide perovskites (MAPbX3; MA=CH3NH3+, X=Br− or I−) have shown remarkably low trap density and charge transport properties; however, growth of such high-quality semiconductors is a time-consuming process. Here we present a rapid crystal growth process to obtain MAPbX3 single crystals, an order of magnitude faster than previous reports. The process is based on our observation of the substantial decrease of MAPbX3 solubility, in certain solvents, at elevated temperatures. The crystals can be both size- and shape-controlled by manipulating the different crystallization parameters. Despite the rapidity of the method, the grown crystals exhibit transport properties and trap densities comparable to the highest quality MAPbX3 reported to date. The phenomenon of inverse or retrograde solubility and its correlated inverse temperature crystallization strategy present a major step forward for advancing the field on perovskite crystallization.
CitationHigh-quality bulk hybrid perovskite single crystals within minutes by inverse temperature crystallization 2015, 6:7586 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
CollectionsArticles; Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab; Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division; Chemical Science Program; Materials Science and Engineering Program; KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC); KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
- Solar cells. Low trap-state density and long carrier diffusion in organolead trihalide perovskite single crystals.
- Authors: Shi D, Adinolfi V, Comin R, Yuan M, Alarousu E, Buin A, Chen Y, Hoogland S, Rothenberger A, Katsiev K, Losovyj Y, Zhang X, Dowben PA, Mohammed OF, Sargent EH, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 30
- CH3NH3PbCl3 Single Crystals: Inverse Temperature Crystallization and Visible-Blind UV-Photodetector.
- Authors: Maculan G, Sheikh AD, Abdelhady AL, Saidaminov MI, Haque MA, Murali B, Alarousu E, Mohammed OF, Wu T, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Single crystal hybrid perovskite field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Yu W, Li F, Yu L, Niazi MR, Zou Y, Corzo D, Basu A, Ma C, Dey S, Tietze ML, Buttner U, Wang X, Wang Z, Hedhili MN, Guo C, Wu T, Amassian A
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 17
- Crystallization of Methylammonium Lead Halide Perovskites by Optical Trapping.
- Authors: Yuyama KI, Islam MJ, Takahashi K, Nakamura T, Biju V
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 8
- Retrograde solubility of formamidinium and methylammonium lead halide perovskites enabling rapid single crystal growth.
- Authors: Saidaminov MI, Abdelhady AL, Maculan G, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 28