MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis work aims at the development of a mathematical and computational approach that enables quantification of the inherent sources of stochasticity and of the corresponding sensitivities in stochastic simulations of chemical reaction networks. The approach is based on reformulating the system dynamics as being generated by independent standardized Poisson processes. This reformulation affords a straightforward identification of individual realizations for the stochastic dynamics of each reaction channel, and consequently a quantitative characterization of the inherent sources of stochasticity in the system. By relying on the Sobol-Hoeffding decomposition, the reformulation enables us to perform an orthogonal decomposition of the solution variance. Thus, by judiciously exploiting the inherent stochasticity of the system, one is able to quantify the variance-based sensitivities associated with individual reaction channels, as well as the importance of channel interactions. Implementation of the algorithms is illustrated in light of simulations of simplified systems, including the birth-death, Schlögl, and Michaelis-Menten models.
CitationVariance decomposition in stochastic simulators 2015, 142 (24):244115 The Journal of Chemical Physics
JournalThe Journal of Chemical Physics
- Global sensitivity analysis in stochastic simulators of uncertain reaction networks.
- Authors: Navarro Jimenez M, Le Maître OP, Knio OM
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 28
- Modeling and simulation of biological systems with stochasticity.
- Authors: Meng TC, Somani S, Dhar P
- Issue date: 2004
- Modeling stochasticity in gene regulation: characterization in the terms of the underlying distribution function.
- Authors: Paszek P
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Exploration of the spontaneous fluctuating activity of single enzyme molecules.
- Authors: Schwabe A, Maarleveld TR, Bruggeman FJ
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 2
- A general moment expansion method for stochastic kinetic models.
- Authors: Ale A, Kirk P, Stumpf MP
- Issue date: 2013 May 7