Piezoelectric effect in chemical vapour deposition-grown atomic-monolayer triangular molybdenum disulfide piezotronics
Stieg, Adam Z.
Wang, Kang L.
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/558702
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh-performance piezoelectricity in monolayer semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenides is highly desirable for the development of nanosensors, piezotronics and photo-piezotransistors. Here we report the experimental study of the theoretically predicted piezoelectric effect in triangle monolayer MoS2 devices under isotropic mechanical deformation. The experimental observation indicates that the conductivity of MoS2 devices can be actively modulated by the piezoelectric charge polarization-induced built-in electric field under strain variation. These polarization charges alter the Schottky barrier height on both contacts, resulting in a barrier height increase with increasing compressive strain and decrease with increasing tensile strain. The underlying mechanism of strain-induced in-plane charge polarization is proposed and discussed using energy band diagrams. In addition, a new type of MoS2 strain/force sensor built using a monolayer MoS2 triangle is also demonstrated. Our results provide evidence for strain-gating monolayer MoS2 piezotronics, a promising avenue for achieving augmented functionalities in next-generation electronic and mechanical–electronic nanodevices.
CitationPiezoelectric effect in chemical vapour deposition-grown atomic-monolayer triangular molybdenum disulfide piezotronics 2015, 6:7430 Nature Communications
- Ultrahigh Gauge Factor in Graphene/MoS<sub>2</sub> Heterojunction Field Effect Transistor with Variable Schottky Barrier.
- Authors: Lee I, Kang WT, Shin YS, Kim YR, Won UY, Kim K, Duong DL, Lee K, Heo J, Lee YH, Yu WJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 23
- Piezoelectricity of single-atomic-layer MoS2 for energy conversion and piezotronics.
- Authors: Wu W, Wang L, Li Y, Zhang F, Lin L, Niu S, Chenet D, Zhang X, Hao Y, Heinz TF, Hone J, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 23
- Strain and structure heterogeneity in MoS2 atomic layers grown by chemical vapour deposition.
- Authors: Liu Z, Amani M, Najmaei S, Xu Q, Zou X, Zhou W, Yu T, Qiu C, Birdwell AG, Crowne FJ, Vajtai R, Yakobson BI, Xia Z, Dubey M, Ajayan PM, Lou J
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 18
- Probing the nanoscale light emission properties of a CVD-grown MoS<sub>2</sub> monolayer by tip-enhanced photoluminescence.
- Authors: Okuno Y, Lancry O, Tempez A, Cairone C, Bosi M, Fabbri F, Chaigneau M
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 7
- Spatially resolved photoexcited charge-carrier dynamics in phase-engineered monolayer MoS2.
- Authors: Yamaguchi H, Blancon JC, Kappera R, Lei S, Najmaei S, Mangum BD, Gupta G, Ajayan PM, Lou J, Chhowalla M, Crochet JJ, Mohite AD
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 27