Wound repair during arm regeneration in the red starfish Echinaster sepositus
AuthorsBen Khadra, Yousra
Di Benedetto, Cristiano
Candia Carnevali, M. Daniela
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/558700
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStarfish can regenerate entire arms following their loss by both autotomic and traumatic amputation. Although the overall regenerative process has been studied several times in different asteroid species, there is still a considerable gap of knowledge as far as the detailed aspects of the repair phase at tissue and cellular level are concerned, particularly in post-traumatic regeneration. The present work is focused on the arm regeneration model in the Mediterranean red starfish Echinaster sepositus; in order to describe the early cellular mechanisms of arm regeneration following traumatic amputation, different microscopy techniques were employed. In E. sepositus, the repair phase was characterized by prompt wound healing by a syncytial network of phagocytes and re-epithelialisation followed by a localized subepidermal oedematous area formation. Scattered and apparently undifferentiated cells, intermixed with numerous phagocytes, were frequently found in the wound area during these first stages of regeneration and extensive dedifferentiation phenomena were seen at the level of the stump, particularly in the muscle bundles. A true localized blastema did not form. Our results confirm that regeneration in asteroids mainly relies on morphallactic processes, consisting in extensive rearrangement of the existing tissues which contribute to the new tissues through cell dedifferentiation, re-differentiation and/or migration. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
CitationWound repair during arm regeneration in the red starfish Echinaster sepositus 2015:n/a Wound Repair and Regeneration
JournalWound Repair and Regeneration
- Re-growth, morphogenesis, and differentiation during starfish arm regeneration.
- Authors: Ben Khadra Y, Ferrario C, Di Benedetto C, Said K, Bonasoro F, Carnevali MD, Sugni M
- Issue date: 2015 Jul-Aug
- Fundamental aspects of arm repair phase in two echinoderm models.
- Authors: Ferrario C, Ben Khadra Y, Czarkwiani A, Zakrzewski A, Martinez P, Colombo G, Bonasoro F, Candia Carnevali MD, Oliveri P, Sugni M
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 15
- An integrated view of asteroid regeneration: tissues, cells and molecules.
- Authors: Ben Khadra Y, Sugni M, Ferrario C, Bonasoro F, Varela Coelho A, Martinez P, Candia Carnevali MD
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Methylene Blue Assay for Estimation of Regenerative Re-Epithelialization In Vivo.
- Authors: Milyavsky M, Dickie R
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Regeneration: the ultimate example of wound healing.
- Authors: Murawala P, Tanaka EM, Currie JD
- Issue date: 2012 Dec