How to awaken your nanomachines: Site-specific activation of focal adhesion kinases through ligand interactions
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe focal adhesion kinase (FAK) and the related protein-tyrosine kinase 2-beta (Pyk2) are highly versatile multidomain scaffolds central to cell adhesion, migration, and survival. Due to their key role in cancer metastasis, understanding and inhibiting their functions are important for the development of targeted therapy. Because FAK and Pyk2 are involved in many different cellular functions, designing drugs with partial and function-specific inhibitory effects would be desirable. Here, we summarise recent progress in understanding the structural mechanism of how the tug-of-war between intramolecular and intermolecular interactions allows these protein ‘nanomachines’ to become activated in a site-specific manner.
CitationHow to awaken your nanomachines: Site-specific activation of focal adhesion kinases through ligand interactions 2015 Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology
- Focal adhesion kinase: exploring Fak structure to gain insight into function.
- Authors: Hall JE, Fu W, Schaller MD
- Issue date: 2011
- Crystal structure of the FERM domain of focal adhesion kinase.
- Authors: Ceccarelli DF, Song HK, Poy F, Schaller MD, Eck MJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 6
- How focal adhesion kinase achieves regulation by linking ligand binding, localization and action.
- Authors: Arold ST
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Structural basis for the interaction between focal adhesion kinase and CD4.
- Authors: Garron ML, Arthos J, Guichou JF, McNally J, Cicala C, Arold ST
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 1
- Paxillin binding to the alpha 4 integrin subunit stimulates LFA-1 (integrin alpha L beta 2)-dependent T cell migration by augmenting the activation of focal adhesion kinase/proline-rich tyrosine kinase-2.
- Authors: Rose DM, Liu S, Woodside DG, Han J, Schlaepfer DD, Ginsberg MH
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 15