Heterogeneous distribution of plankton within the mixed layer and its implications for bloom formation in tropical seas
Agersted, Mette Dalgaard
Møller, Eva Friis
Paulsen, Maria Lund
Tang, Kam W.
Raitsos, Dionysios E.
Nielsen, Torkel Gissel
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntensive sampling at the coastal waters of the central Red Sea during a period of thermal stratification, prior to the main seasonal bloom during winter, showed that vertical patches of prokaryotes and microplankton developed and persisted for several days within the apparently density uniform upper layer. These vertical structures were most likely the result of in situ growth and mortality (e.g., grazing) rather than physical or behavioural aggregation. Simulating a mixing event by adding nutrient-rich deep water abruptly triggered dense phytoplankton blooms in the nutrient-poor environment of the upper layer. These findings suggest that vertical structures within the mixed layer provide critical seeding stocks that can rapidly exploit nutrient influx during mixing, leading to winter bloom formation.
CitationHeterogeneous distribution of plankton within the mixed layer and its implications for bloom formation in tropical seas 2015, 5:11240 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Monitoring of ocean surface algal blooms in coastal and oceanic waters around India.
- Authors: Tholkapiyan M, Shanmugam P, Suresh T
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Eddy-driven stratification initiates North Atlantic spring phytoplankton blooms.
- Authors: Mahadevan A, D'Asaro E, Lee C, Perry MJ
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 6
- Abiotic control of phytoplankton blooms in temperate coastal marine ecosystems: A case study in the South Atlantic Ocean.
- Authors: Bermejo P, Helbling EW, Durán-Romero C, Cabrerizo MJ, Villafañe VE
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 15
- Remote sensing of bacterial response to degrading phytoplankton in the Arabian Sea.
- Authors: Priyaja P, Dwivedi R, Sini S, Hatha M, Saravanane N, Sudhakar M
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Variations in phytoplankton community in a monsoon-influenced tropical estuary.
- Authors: Patil JS, Anil AC
- Issue date: 2011 Nov