The Arabidopsis Vacuolar Sorting Receptor1 Is Required for Osmotic Stress-Induced Abscisic Acid Biosynthesis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOsmotic stress activates the biosynthesis of the phytohormone abscisic acid (ABA) through a pathway that is rate limited by the carotenoid cleavage enzyme 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase (NCED). To understand the signal transduction mechanism underlying the activation of ABA biosynthesis, we performed a forward genetic screen to isolate mutants defective in osmotic stress regulation of the NCED3 gene. Here, we identified the Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana) Vacuolar Sorting Receptor1 (VSR1) as a unique regulator of ABA biosynthesis. The vsr1 mutant not only shows increased sensitivity to osmotic stress, but also is defective in the feedback regulation of ABA biosynthesis by ABA. Further analysis revealed that vacuolar trafficking mediated by VSR1 is required for osmotic stress-responsive ABA biosynthesis and osmotic stress tolerance. Moreover, under osmotic stress conditions, the membrane potential, calcium flux, and vacuolar pH changes in the vsr1 mutant differ from those in the wild type. Given that manipulation of the intracellular pH is sufficient to modulate the expression of ABA biosynthesis genes, including NCED3, and ABA accumulation, we propose that intracellular pH changes caused by osmotic stress may play a signaling role in regulating ABA biosynthesis and that this regulation is dependent on functional VSR1.
CitationThe Arabidopsis Vacuolar Sorting Receptor1 Is Required for Osmotic Stress-Induced Abscisic Acid Biosynthesis 2015, 167 (1):137 Plant Physiology
PubMed Central IDPMC4281004
- The plant cuticle is required for osmotic stress regulation of abscisic acid biosynthesis and osmotic stress tolerance in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Wang ZY, Xiong L, Li W, Zhu JK, Zhu J
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Arabidopsis lenc1 mutant displays reduced ABA accumulation by low AtNCED3 expression under osmotic stress.
- Authors: Woo DH, Park HY, Kang IS, Lee SY, Moon BY, Lee CB, Moon YH
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 15
- The regulator of G-protein signaling proteins involved in sugar and abscisic acid signaling in Arabidopsis seed germination.
- Authors: Chen Y, Ji F, Xie H, Liang J, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- ABA-dependent and ABA-independent signaling in response to osmotic stress in plants.
- Authors: Yoshida T, Mogami J, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Regulation of osmotic stress-responsive gene expression by the LOS6/ABA1 locus in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Xiong L, Lee H, Ishitani M, Zhu JK
- Issue date: 2002 Mar 8