Microporous metal–organic framework with dual functionalities for highly efficient removal of acetylene from ethylene/acetylene mixtures
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/556730
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe removal of acetylene from ethylene/acetylene mixtures containing 1% acetylene is a technologically very important, but highly challenging task. Current removal approaches include the partial hydrogenation over a noble metal catalyst and the solvent extraction of cracked olefins, both of which are cost and energy consumptive. Here we report a microporous metal–organic framework in which the suitable pore/cage spaces preferentially take up much more acetylene than ethylene while the functional amine groups on the pore/cage surfaces further enforce their interactions with acetylene molecules, leading to its superior performance for this separation. The single X-ray diffraction studies, temperature dependent gas sorption isotherms, simulated and experimental column breakthrough curves and molecular simulation studies collaboratively support the claim, underlying the potential of this material for the industrial usage of the removal of acetylene from ethylene/acetylene mixtures containing 1% acetylene at room temperature through the cost- and energy-efficient adsorption separation process.
CitationMicroporous metal–organic framework with dual functionalities for highly efficient removal of acetylene from ethylene/acetylene mixtures 2015, 6:7328 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Rationally tuned micropores within enantiopure metal-organic frameworks for highly selective separation of acetylene and ethylene.
- Authors: Xiang SC, Zhang Z, Zhao CG, Hong K, Zhao X, Ding DR, Xie MH, Wu CD, Das MC, Gill R, Thomas KM, Chen B
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 22
- Separation of Acetylene from Carbon Dioxide and Ethylene by a Water-Stable Microporous Metal-Organic Framework with Aligned Imidazolium Groups inside the Channels.
- Authors: Lee J, Chuah CY, Kim J, Kim Y, Ko N, Seo Y, Kim K, Bae TH, Lee E
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 25
- A microporous metal-organic framework for highly selective separation of acetylene, ethylene, and ethane from methane at room temperature.
- Authors: He Y, Zhang Z, Xiang S, Fronczek FR, Krishna R, Chen B
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 9
- Ethane/ethylene separation in a metal-organic framework with iron-peroxo sites.
- Authors: Li L, Lin RB, Krishna R, Li H, Xiang S, Wu H, Li J, Zhou W, Chen B
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 26
- Extraordinary Separation of Acetylene-Containing Mixtures with Microporous Metal-Organic Frameworks with Open O Donor Sites and Tunable Robustness through Control of the Helical Chain Secondary Building Units.
- Authors: Yao Z, Zhang Z, Liu L, Li Z, Zhou W, Zhao Y, Han Y, Chen B, Krishna R, Xiang S
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 11