Ultrafast Carrier Trapping of a Metal-Doped Titanium Dioxide Semiconductor Revealed by Femtosecond Transient Absorption Spectroscopy
Khan, Jafar I.
Mohammed, Omar F.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Advanced Nanofabrication and Thin Film Core Lab
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/556649
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe explored for the first time the ultrafast carrier trapping of a metal-doped titanium dioxide (TiO2) semiconductor using broad-band transient absorption (TA) spectroscopy with 120 fs temporal resolution. Titanium dioxide was successfully doped layer-by-layer with two metal ions, namely tungsten and cobalt. The time-resolved data demonstrate clearly that the carrier trapping time decreases progressively as the doping concentration increases. A global-fitting procedure for the carrier trapping suggests the appearance of two time components: a fast one that is directly associated with carrier trapping to the defect state in the vicinity of the conduction band and a slow one that is attributed to carrier trapping to the deep-level state from the conduction band. With a relatively long doping deposition time on the order of 30 s, a carrier lifetime of about 1 ps is obtained. To confirm that the measured ultrafast carrier dynamics are associated with electron trapping by metal doping, we explored the carrier dynamics of undoped TiO2. The findings reported here may be useful for the implementation of high-speed optoelectronic applications and fast switching devices.
CitationUltrafast Carrier Trapping of a Metal-Doped Titanium Dioxide Semiconductor Revealed by Femtosecond Transient Absorption Spectroscopy 2014, 6 (13):10022 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Effect of Mn doping on ultrafast carrier dynamics in thin films of the topological insulator Bi2Se3.
- Authors: Glinka YD, Babakiray S, Holcomb MB, Lederman D
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 27
- Contribution of Femtosecond Laser Spectroscopy to the Development of Advanced Optoelectronic Nanomaterials.
- Authors: Chuang CH, Burda C
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 19
- Ultrafast Photoinduced Electron Transfer in a π-Conjugated Oligomer/Porphyrin Complex.
- Authors: Aly SM, Goswami S, Alsulami QA, Schanze KS, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 2
- Ultrafast electron trapping at the surface of semiconductor nanocrystals: excitonic and biexcitonic processes.
- Authors: Saari JI, Dias EA, Reifsnyder D, Krause MM, Walsh BR, Murray CB, Kambhampati P
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 25
- Atomic-Layer-Confined Doping for Atomic-Level Insights into Visible-Light Water Splitting.
- Authors: Lei F, Zhang L, Sun Y, Liang L, Liu K, Xu J, Zhang Q, Pan B, Luo Y, Xie Y
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 3