Rapid determination of anti-tuberculosis drug resistance from whole-genome sequences
Preston, Mark D
Guerra-Assunção, José Afonso
Hill-Cawthorne, Grant A.
Glynn, Judith R
Clark, Taane G
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMycobacterium tuberculosis drug resistance (DR) challenges effective tuberculosis disease control. Current molecular tests examine limited numbers of mutations, and although whole genome sequencing approaches could fully characterise DR, data complexity has restricted their clinical application. A library (1,325 mutations) predictive of DR for 15 anti-tuberculosis drugs was compiled and validated for 11 of them using genomic-phenotypic data from 792 strains. A rapid online ‘TB-Profiler’ tool was developed to report DR and strain-type profiles directly from raw sequences. Using our DR mutation library, in silico diagnostic accuracy was superior to some commercial diagnostics and alternative databases. The library will facilitate sequence-based drug-susceptibility testing.
CitationRapid determination of anti-tuberculosis drug resistance from whole-genome sequences 2015, 7 (1) Genome Medicine
PublisherSpringer Science + Business Media
PubMed Central IDPMC4446134
- [Frontier of mycobacterium research--host vs. mycobacterium].
- Authors: Okada M, Shirakawa T
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- [Development of antituberculous drugs: current status and future prospects].
- Authors: Tomioka H, Namba K
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Evolution of Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis over Four Decades: Whole Genome Sequencing and Dating Analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Isolates from KwaZulu-Natal.
- Authors: Cohen KA, Abeel T, Manson McGuire A, Desjardins CA, Munsamy V, Shea TP, Walker BJ, Bantubani N, Almeida DV, Alvarado L, Chapman SB, Mvelase NR, Duffy EY, Fitzgerald MG, Govender P, Gujja S, Hamilton S, Howarth C, Larimer JD, Maharaj K, Pearson MD, Priest ME, Zeng Q, Padayatchi N, Grosset J, Young SK, Wortman J, Mlisana KP, O'Donnell MR, Birren BW, Bishai WR, Pym AS, Earl AM
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- The variability and reproducibility of whole genome sequencing technology for detecting resistance to anti-tuberculous drugs.
- Authors: Phelan J, O'Sullivan DM, Machado D, Ramos J, Whale AS, O'Grady J, Dheda K, Campino S, McNerney R, Viveiros M, Huggett JF, Clark TG
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 22
- Benefits and challenges of molecular diagnostics for childhood tuberculosis.
- Authors: Gutierrez C
- Issue date: 2016 Dec