Microbiome structure of the fungid coral Ctenactis echinata aligns with environmental differences
Article - Full Text
Microsoft Excel 2007
Microsoft Excel 2007
Microsoft Word 2007
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Online Publication Date2015-06-19
Print Publication Date2015-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/556096
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe significance of bacteria for eukaryotic functioning is increasingly recognized. Coral reef ecosystems critically rely on the relationship between coral hosts and their intracellular photosynthetic dinoflagellates, but the role of the associated bacteria remains largely theoretical. Here, we set out to relate coral-associated bacterial communities of the fungid host species Ctenactis echinata to environmental settings (geographic location, substrate cover, summer/winter, nutrient and suspended matter concentrations) and coral host abundance. We show that bacterial diversity of C. echinata aligns with ecological differences between sites and that coral colonies sampled at the species’ preferred habitats are primarily structured by one bacterial taxon (genus Endozoicomonas) representing more than 60% of all bacteria. In contrast, host microbiomes from lower populated coral habitats are less structured and more diverse. Our study demonstrates that the content and structure of the coral microbiome aligns with environmental differences and denotes habitat adequacy. Availability of a range of coral host habitats might be important for the conservation of distinct microbiome structures and diversity.
CitationMicrobiome structure of the fungid coral Ctenactis echinata aligns with environmental differences 2015:n/a Molecular Ecology
- Habitat-specific environmental conditions primarily control the microbiomes of the coral Seriatopora hystrix.
- Authors: Pantos O, Bongaerts P, Dennis PG, Tyson GW, Hoegh-Guldberg O
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- The Montastraea faveolata microbiome: ecological and temporal influences on a Caribbean reef-building coral in decline.
- Authors: Kimes NE, Johnson WR, Torralba M, Nelson KE, Weil E, Morris PJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Microbial indicators of environmental perturbations in coral reef ecosystems.
- Authors: Glasl B, Bourne DG, Frade PR, Thomas T, Schaffelke B, Webster NS
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 21
- The Microbial Signature Provides Insight into the Mechanistic Basis of Coral Success across Reef Habitats.
- Authors: Hernandez-Agreda A, Leggat W, Bongaerts P, Ainsworth TD
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 26
- Insights into the Coral Microbiome: Underpinning the Health and Resilience of Reef Ecosystems.
- Authors: Bourne DG, Morrow KM, Webster NS
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 8