KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/556077
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSubmarine eruptions that lead to the formation of new volcanic islands are rare and far from being fully understood; only a few such eruptions have been witnessed since Surtsey Island emerged to the south of Iceland in the 1960s. Here we report on two new volcanic islands that were formed in the Zubair archipelago of the southern Red Sea in 2011–2013. Using high-resolution optical satellite images, we find that the new islands grew rapidly during their initial eruptive phases and that coastal erosion significantly modified their shapes within months. Satellite radar data indicate that two north–south-oriented dykes, much longer than the small islands might suggest, fed the eruptions. These events occurred contemporaneously with several local earthquake swarms of the type that typically accompany magma intrusions. Earthquake activity has been affecting the southern Red Sea for decades, suggesting the presence of a magmatically active zone that has previously escaped notice.
CitationBirth of two volcanic islands in the southern Red Sea 2015, 6:7104 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC4455101
- Depth of origin of magma in eruptions.
- Authors: Becerril L, Galindo I, Gudmundsson A, Morales JM
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 26
- Quantitative volcanic susceptibility analysis of Lanzarote and Chinijo Islands based on kernel density estimation via a linear diffusion process.
- Authors: Galindo I, Romero MC, Sánchez N, Morales JM
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 6
- Transient changes in bacterioplankton communities induced by the submarine volcanic eruption of El Hierro (Canary Islands).
- Authors: Ferrera I, Arístegui J, González JM, Montero MF, Fraile-Nuez E, Gasol JM
- Issue date: 2015
- The Surtsey Magma Series.
- Authors: Schipper CI, Jakobsson SP, White JD, Michael Palin J, Bush-Marcinowski T
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 26
- Intrusion triggering of the 2010 Eyjafjallajökull explosive eruption.
- Authors: Sigmundsson F, Hreinsdóttir S, Hooper A, Arnadóttir T, Pedersen R, Roberts MJ, Oskarsson N, Auriac A, Decriem J, Einarsson P, Geirsson H, Hensch M, Ofeigsson BG, Sturkell E, Sveinbjörnsson H, Feigl KL
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 18