Colossal positive magnetoresistance in surface-passivated oxygen-deficient strontium titanite
Shah, Amish B.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractModulation of resistance by an external magnetic field, i.e. magnetoresistance effect, has been a long-lived theme of research due to both fundamental science and device applications. Here we report colossal positive magnetoresistance (CPMR) (>30,000% at a temperature of 2 K and a magnetic field of 9 T) discovered in degenerate semiconducting strontium titanite (SrTiO3) single crystals capped with ultrathin SrTiO3/LaAlO3 bilayers. The low-pressure high-temperature homoepitaxial growth of several unit cells of SrTiO3 introduces oxygen vacancies and high-mobility carriers in the bulk SrTiO3, and the three-unit-cell LaAlO3 capping layer passivates the surface and improves carrier mobility by suppressing surface-defect-related scattering. The coexistence of multiple types of carriers and inhomogeneous transport lead to the emergence of CPMR. This unit-cell-level surface engineering approach is promising to be generalized to others oxides, and to realize devices with high-mobility carriers and interesting magnetoelectronic properties.
CitationColossal positive magnetoresistance in surface-passivated oxygen-deficient strontium titanite 2015, 5:10255 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Subtle Interplay between Localized Magnetic Moments and Itinerant Electrons in LaAlO3/SrTiO3 Heterostructures.
- Authors: Hu HL, Zeng R, Pham A, Tan TT, Chen Z, Kong C, Wang D, Li S
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 1
- Direct Observation of Room-Temperature Stable Magnetism in LaAlO<sub>3</sub>/SrTiO<sub>3</sub> Heterostructures.
- Authors: Yang M, Ariando, Zhou J, Asmara TC, Krüger P, Yu XJ, Wang X, Sanchez-Hanke C, Feng YP, Venkatesan T, Rusydi A
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 21
- Insulator-to-Metal Transition at Oxide Interfaces Induced by WO<sub>3</sub> Overlayers.
- Authors: Mattoni G, Baek DJ, Manca N, Verhagen N, Groenendijk DJ, Kourkoutis LF, Filippetti A, Caviglia AD
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 6
- Polarity-tunable magnetic tunnel junctions based on ferromagnetism at oxide heterointerfaces.
- Authors: Ngo TD, Chang JW, Lee K, Han S, Lee JS, Kim YH, Jung MH, Doh YJ, Choi MS, Song J, Kim J
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 13
- Chemistry and structure of homoepitaxial SrTiO3 films and their influence on oxide-heterostructure interfaces.
- Authors: Reinle-Schmitt ML, Cancellieri C, Cavallaro A, Harrington GF, Leake SJ, Pomjakushina E, Kilner JA, Willmott PR
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 7