Unveiling the Role of CNTs on the Phase Formation of 1D Ferroelectrics
Reaney, I. M.
Da Costa, Pedro M. F. J.
Kingon, Angus I.
Vilarinho, P. M.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCarbon nanotubes (CNTs) have the potential to act as templates or bottom electrodes for three dimension (3D) capacitor arrays, which utilise one dimension (1D) ferroelectric nanostructures to increase memory size and density. However, growing a ferroelectric on the surface of CNTs is non-trivial. Here, we demonstrate that multi-walled (MW) CNTs decrease the time and temperature for formation of lead zirconium titanate Pb(Zr1-xTix)O3 (PZT) by ~100 ºC commensurate with a decrease in activation energy from 68±15 kJ/mol to 27±2 kJ/mol. As a consequence, monophasic PZT was obtained at 575 ºC for MWCNTs/PZT whereas for pure PZT traces of pyrochlore were still present at 650 ºC, where PZT phase formed due to homogeneous nucleation. The piezoelectric nature of MWCNT/PZT synthesised at 500 ºC for 1 h was proved. Although further work is required to prove the concept of 3D capacitor arrays, our result suggests that it is feasible to utilise MWCNTs as templates/electrodes for the formation of 1D PZT nano ferroelectrics.
CitationUnveiling the Role of CNTs on the Phase Formation of 1D Ferroelectrics 2015:150521115352001 Langmuir
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Fabrication of 3-dimensional PbZr(1-x)Ti(x)O3 nanoscale thin film capacitors for high density ferroelectric random access memory devices.
- Authors: Shin S, Koo JM, Kim S, Seo BS, Lee JH, Baik H, Park Y, Han H, Baik S, Lee JK
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Ferroelectric-carbon nanotube memory devices.
- Authors: Kumar A, Shivareddy SG, Correa M, Resto O, Choi Y, Cole MT, Katiyar RS, Scott JF, Amaratunga GA, Lu H, Gruverman A
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 27
- Evaluation of the role of Au in improving catalytic activity of Ni nanoparticles for the formation of one-dimensional carbon nanostructures.
- Authors: Sharma R, Chee SW, Herzing A, Miranda R, Rez P
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 8
- Effects of sintering temperature on the pyrochlore phase in PZT nanotubes and their transformation to the perovskite phase by coating with PbO multilayers.
- Authors: Han JK, Choi YC, Jeon DH, Lee MK, Bu SD
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Highly ordered Pb(Zr₀.₅₂ Ti₀.₄₈)O₃ piezoelectric nanorod arrays.
- Authors: Yang SC, Sanghadasa M, Priya S
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 7