Unveiling the Role of CNTs on the Phase Formation of 1D Ferroelectrics
Reaney, I. M.
Da Costa, Pedro M. F. J.
Kingon, Angus I.
Vilarinho, P. M.
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-06-09
Print Publication Date2015-06-23
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/555659
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCarbon nanotubes (CNTs) have the potential to act as templates or bottom electrodes for three dimension (3D) capacitor arrays, which utilise one dimension (1D) ferroelectric nanostructures to increase memory size and density. However, growing a ferroelectric on the surface of CNTs is non-trivial. Here, we demonstrate that multi-walled (MW) CNTs decrease the time and temperature for formation of lead zirconium titanate Pb(Zr1-xTix)O3 (PZT) by ~100 ºC commensurate with a decrease in activation energy from 68±15 kJ/mol to 27±2 kJ/mol. As a consequence, monophasic PZT was obtained at 575 ºC for MWCNTs/PZT whereas for pure PZT traces of pyrochlore were still present at 650 ºC, where PZT phase formed due to homogeneous nucleation. The piezoelectric nature of MWCNT/PZT synthesised at 500 ºC for 1 h was proved. Although further work is required to prove the concept of 3D capacitor arrays, our result suggests that it is feasible to utilise MWCNTs as templates/electrodes for the formation of 1D PZT nano ferroelectrics.
CitationUnveiling the Role of CNTs on the Phase Formation of 1D Ferroelectrics 2015:150521115352001 Langmuir
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Ferroelectric-carbon nanotube memory devices.
- Authors: Kumar A, Shivareddy SG, Correa M, Resto O, Choi Y, Cole MT, Katiyar RS, Scott JF, Amaratunga GA, Lu H, Gruverman A
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 27
- Fabrication of 3-dimensional PbZr(1-x)Ti(x)O3 nanoscale thin film capacitors for high density ferroelectric random access memory devices.
- Authors: Shin S, Koo JM, Kim S, Seo BS, Lee JH, Baik H, Park Y, Han H, Baik S, Lee JK
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Highly ordered Pb(Zr₀.₅₂ Ti₀.₄₈)O₃ piezoelectric nanorod arrays.
- Authors: Yang SC, Sanghadasa M, Priya S
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 7
- Effects of sintering temperature on the pyrochlore phase in PZT nanotubes and their transformation to the perovskite phase by coating with PbO multilayers.
- Authors: Han JK, Choi YC, Jeon DH, Lee MK, Bu SD
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Effect of manganese doping on the size effect of lead zirconate titanate thin films and the extrinsic nature of 'dead layers'.
- Authors: Lou XJ, Wang J
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 10